Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

open-phd + indi server (qhy5) on a Raspberry PI

Gonzo

Greetings,

In the "A slice of Pi..." thread I've said this PI might not be suited for our needs but I thought why not at least give it a go.

You will need:

Raspberry PI (obviously) running Raspbian

open-phd

QHY5 indi drivers and indi server

Installing Raspbian:

follow the instructions from http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

Installing open-phd:

su -
cd /home
svn checkout [url="http://open-phd-guiding.googlecode.com/svn/trunk"]http://open-phd-guid...e.com/svn/trunk[/url]$
cd open-phd-guiding-read-only/

the following 3 steps might not be necessary, it depends how much you've "played" with Raspbian prior to this install
apt-get install libwxgtk2.8-dev
apt-get install libcftsio
apt-get install libudev-dev libv4l-dev zlib1g-dev libcfitsio3-dev
cmake .
make
make install

Installing the INDI server and qhy5 driver:

cd /home
svn co https://indi.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/indi/trunk indi
cd indi/libindi
cmake .
At this point there was an error and I had to install the libusb-dev package
apt-get install libusb-dev

cmake .
make
make install

cd ..
cd 3rdparty/indi-qhy/
cmake .
make
make install

running the INDI server:

indiserver indi_qhy_ccd

you should see the following only:

root@raspberrypi:~# indiserver indi_qhy_ccd

2012-08-10T13:55:27: startup: indiserver indi_qhy_ccd

a dmesg should show the QHY5:

qhy5.jpg

and if everything is working ok, you should get open-phd working fine with the INDI server (QHY driver) and a QHY5 connected to it.

PHD7.JPG

the above screenshots are not from me, they are from someone that was testing the all thing for me as I do not yet have my QHY5.

comments are welcome :)

(I might add more stuff to it....)

Regards

Stephane

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see someone has tried this, I have been working on trying to get openPHD working with the philips webcams (I've got code that allows us to do long exposure already) but unfortunately right now, there is a bug in the pi usb driver that stops the philips from working at all. I had expected to look at this soon, so I'm guessing that the qhy behaves vastly differently to the philips webcam as it seems the qhy5 just works.

Regards,

Reggie.

There are some major issues with the PWC driver used for the SPC900 sadly. It always was a bit odd, but the V4L2 interface is very poorly supported and that is pretty much the only one anyone uses now. The driver needs updating, but most people aren't interested in it any longer by the looks of it.

James

There are some major issues with the PWC driver used for the SPC900 sadly. It always was a bit odd, but the V4L2 interface is very poorly supported and that is pretty much the only one anyone uses now. The driver needs updating, but most people aren't interested in it any longer by the looks of it.

James

Yes, it's a shame. The basic problem though is that the Pi is a 10 year old ARM6 architecture that none of the major Linux distros support any more. So getting driver fixes and library updates for the Pi will always be a hit and miss affair.

Yes, it's a shame. The basic problem though is that the Pi is a 10 year old ARM6 architecture that none of the major Linux distros support any more. So getting driver fixes and library updates for the Pi will always be a hit and miss affair.

Hmm... that's a bit poor for a newly developed and advertised unit! Disgusting I call it! :(

Anyone wanna buy a Pi - totally unused? :D

It's funny that whilst the licenses for arm11xx chips were originally released in 2002, arm11xx chips have featured heavily in the mobile market, having more recently been in iphone 3g for instance. So whilst it's 10 years old, it's a well trodden road, the main distro support doesn't matter, they've got/will get it into the mainline kernel and have their own distribution, it was doing pretty well on just squeeze, now in the space of a few months they've put raspbian on there (converted to run faster with vfp. Getting driver fixes and updates isn't an issue but I will concede that some issues may never get solved. But what exactly did you expect for £25 (board price)? And the chip in the PI is being used in current retail products too (not 10 years old).

Of course it was meant to be a development tool, that's what teaching programming is about, development :)

As for the pwc driver, I agree, it's been updated and messed with, bit's taken out etc. but it really doesn't feel like it's been touched for 3.x kernels. For instance, for some reason, I cannot change framerate using any of the userland tools. I also cannot capture in any resolution above 160x120 (I think that's a pi issue).

Hmm... that's a bit poor for a newly developed and advertised unit! Disgusting I call it! :(
To be fair, the new and professionally designed APC [ ref: http://apc.io ] from a PC manufacturer who you'd hope :grin: would know what they're doing is getting a good slagging-off, as well.
Anyone wanna buy a Pi - totally unused? :D
You might be able to swap it for a MK802 - but even that's not perfect (no ESD protection on the HDMI port, overheating issues on earlier models)

As for the pwc driver, I agree, it's been updated and messed with, bit's taken out etc. but it really doesn't feel like it's been touched for 3.x kernels. For instance, for some reason, I cannot change framerate using any of the userland tools. I also cannot capture in any resolution above 160x120 (I think that's a pi issue).

If I had the time I'd fix it, at least so it worked for me. Along with all the other things I'd do if I had the time :)

James

• 5 weeks later...

Plus, it runs astrometry.net...

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ solve-field -m /home/pi/ -z 2 -O -u app -L 7 -H 9 IMG_0007.JPG

Reading input file 1 of 1: "IMG_0007.JPG"...

jpegtopnm: WRITING PPM FILE

Read file stdin: 4272 x 2848 pixels x 1 color(s); maxval 255

Using 8-bit output

Extracting sources...

Downsampling by 2...

simplexy: found 3771 sources.

Couldn't find "plotxy" executable - maybe you didn't build the plotting programs?

Disabling plots.

Solving...

Reading file "./IMG_0007.axy"...

Field 1 did not solve (index index-217.fits, field objects 1-10).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-216.fits, field objects 1-10).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-215.fits, field objects 1-10).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-214.fits, field objects 1-10).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-213.fits, field objects 1-10).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-212.fits, field objects 1-10).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-211.fits, field objects 1-10).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-210.fits, field objects 1-10).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-217.fits, field objects 11-20).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-216.fits, field objects 11-20).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-215.fits, field objects 11-20).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-214.fits, field objects 11-20).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-213.fits, field objects 11-20).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-212.fits, field objects 11-20).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-211.fits, field objects 11-20).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-210.fits, field objects 11-20).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-217.fits, field objects 21-30).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-216.fits, field objects 21-30).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-215.fits, field objects 21-30).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-214.fits, field objects 21-30).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-213.fits, field objects 21-30).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-212.fits, field objects 21-30).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-211.fits, field objects 21-30).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-210.fits, field objects 21-30).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-217.fits, field objects 31-40).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-216.fits, field objects 31-40).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-215.fits, field objects 31-40).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-214.fits, field objects 31-40).

Field 1 did not solve (index index-213.fits, field objects 31-40).

log-odds ratio 48.2986 (9.45871e+20), 17 match, 0 conflict, 25 distractors, 122 index.

RA,Dec = (83.8848,-5.73555), pixel scale 7.95512 arcsec/pix.

Hit/miss: +----+++--+++--+----+----++++-+----+----++(best)--------------+-+--+---------++-------------++------------

Field 1: solved with index index-212.fits.

Field 1 solved: writing to file ./IMG_0007.solved to indicate this.

Field: IMG_0007.JPG

Field center: (RA,Dec) = (83.9, -5.72) deg.

Field center: (RA H:M:S, Dec D:M:S) = (05:35:36.717, -05:43:13.717).

Field size: 9.47422 x 6.32824 degrees

Creating new FITS file "./IMG_0007.new"...

For some strange reason, the Philips SPC900NC webcam started working last night, although the frame rate was abysmal (1 every 5-10 seconds). I need to find out exactly what's made it work and see if I can speed things up at all. This was with OpenPHD and its V4L2 interface. I also had to give the pwc kernel module some options which may have helped.

Archived