Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

tracking on heq5 pro

Ok so had my mount out a few times now to try very basic ap with a dslr. Every photo I have taken has star trails in them.

Do I have to manualy set tracking or should the mount do it itself. It knows what I'm looking at as it has taken me to it using the goto.

I have aligned a couple of times now and while there is no major issue for visual it is getting annoying for ap.

When I slew from 1 point of interest to the next my goto always puts it right in the centre of the eyepiece.

The average exposures are around 10 seconds from which I make out you shouldnt get any star trailing anyway.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you're not polar aligned i.e. aligning the mount with the earths rotational axis; sufficiently well enough to reduce the trailing.

GOTO is just a set of movements from a known starting position based on where the mount thinks it is by way of you making and syncing the alignments.

Tracking will then kick in but the will track rotationally with it's relation to the earths rotation so if it's not aligned to the celestial north pole you will get star trailing or rotation in your images.

Hope that makes sense :)

I think your are not properly polar aligned. Goto can still work if your not properly polar aligned. Make sure you have polaris in the little cirlce. Then with nothing on your mount turn the RA (i think its the RA can never remember which is which sorry if i'm wrong) to see if polaris is staying close to the larger circle line in your polar scope. If it wonders off then you have to try and tweek the mount to make it stay on that line as much as possible. Doesn't have to be spot on but for me I make sure that the star is at least touch the line for 180degrees from the small polaris circle. With that I can get up to 120sec subs unguided with my ED80. Longer if I switch to just using my dlsr and a lens.

Cheers for replies.

I have proper aligned the mount twice to polaris getting it in the circle on the circle and at the correct position in the sky.

I have also levelled the mount as well.

I have to set up each and everytime I use it as I live in a flat and its starting to get a bit annoying.

Having the mount level isn't that important. If its not alignment then maybe you have tracking set to solar or lunar. Double check that. Only other thing I can think of.

Shall check. Cheers.

If you can mark the position where the tripod feet sits then it will be aligned, not sure what yours sits on, but i have mine on patio slabs with the tripod feet sitting in small holes i drilled out......

Different every time as I got to drive out of city.

Hi Rab,

Have you done a drift alignment? I'm not sure if that will make a difference but it certainly won't hurt. The next time we go out to the Rigg I can help you do that & we can see if it helps.

I'll help you align the whole thing if you want & see if we can get it to track a bit better. I've got the same mount & have had the same problems in the past so I should hoepfully be able to find out where the problem lies.

Jeff

The next we're at the Rigg we'll get it sorted, just don't ask me to help you collimate your scope as well! :grin:

Jeff

So will you be taking mirrors out for flocking or you going to try with them in :p

I'm just gonna take the primary out & flock up to the spidervanes, leaving the secondary alone. I can fit the primary back in ok, it's just the secondary I'm having bother with.

There might even be enough material left over for you to flock yours if you want to give it a try.

I'm no shy to give it a try. was looking to try it before proper dark arrives as from what ive read it should help boost contrast.

I think I'll err on caution and only remove the primary as well tho ;)

Cheers Olly. I admit I can be a bit of "thats close enough" when it comes to balancing but thats mainly due to having to turn the scope to get the ep at a comfortable position normaly ends up in ota moving up and down in the rings. I have however got a 9" embroidery hoop on its way to see if it will work as a guide ring and hold everything in place when being turned. (£3.07, bargain)

Shall also watch the shed guide on drift alignment and maybe give that a go. I will have to use my laptop for that I think as I dont have crosshairs in any ep. Or if I'm out for the night I might try that alignment program but that wont be until the days of dark when I can take my time and do it right.

Its such a hassle having to set up and align every time I'm out. Oh well it'll be worth it in the end.

I'm gonna go & flock my scope today so I'll let you know what I have left & if we're a little short you can just buy a bit extra.

You would do your drift alignment using your polar scope bud. Watch the astronomy shed video to see & as I said earlier I can go through it all with you the next time we're at the Rigg just to get it all spot on for you if you're not sure of anything.

Jeff

Hi, I'd love to have 5 minute exposures on my HEQ5. Even with a careful leveling and polar alignment I only get a minute or so before the stars start to elongate (DSLR on a 200p). I'm dipping my toe into the world of guiding to get longer subs :smiley:

If you can mark the position where the tripod feet sits then it will be aligned, not sure what yours sits on, but i have mine on patio slabs with the tripod feet sitting in small holes i drilled out......

Yeah Rab, mark the feet position........ and I'll park my car on top of the marks the next time we get out!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Yeah Rab, mark the feet position........ and I'll park my car on top of the marks the next time we get out!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Aye yer lucky theres no swearing on this forum Lorne :grin:

Might take a wee bag of cement with me next time and make a base in the corner. Can you imagine everyone racing up there in the daylight to claim that spot lol

Archived