Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

APOD 01/08/2012 - how?

pajr777

Going against the grain but I think its a single exposure.

Theres way to much foreground grain for it to be a blended double exposure.

If you was going to attempt a foreground/skyline blend like this then surely you'd reduce the asa of the foreground to somewhere around 800asa with say a 5 minute exposure but your Milky way image would be around 30 seconds at 4000asa.

There was an image of the VLT in Astronomy Now or S@N a while ago which did this really well.

At the end of the day I dont think how the above image was created matters, its just a beautiful photo. :)

You don't read the foreground as being lit by sunlight, Mike?

James

No I dont think so, if it was sunlight then he'd have chosen a lower iso. Theres alot of grain on the canyons in the distance, just doesnt make sense to blend two high iso images.

A while ago I went out with a friend taking widefield night images, he was using a 40D and I had a 5Dmk2 and we were both using similar fast lenses. The difference between the images taken from the cameras were unbelievable, his looked like they taken at night but mine when taken around 3200asa looked almost like daytime, almost 'fake' looking.

No I dont think so, if it was sunlight then he'd have chosen a lower iso. Theres alot of grain on the canyons in the distance, just doesnt make sense to blend two high iso images.

A while ago I went out with a friend taking widefield night images, he was using a 40D and I had a 5Dmk2 and we were both using similar fast lenses. The difference between the images taken from the cameras were unbelievable, his looked like they taken at night but mine when taken around 3200asa looked almost like daytime, almost 'fake' looking.

I also have a 40D and sometimes in low light situation it will wash the color out and look "almost fake as you said. Here is an example from Washington DC area. It's the Iwo Jima memorial and it was getting quite dark out and some pictures look fine and others had a cool washed out look... http://gordongreene.com/photogallery/thumbnails.php?album=86

Archived