Removing dust from a small refractor

Just a quick one really.

I have noticed a lot of dust on the inside surface of my Altair Astro Starwave refractor objective lens. I have an air puffer but the dust is quite stubborn and will not budge. What is the safest method of cleaning if I actually have to make contact with the lens?

Last thing I want to do is ruin any coatings as I cannot afford to re-coat/replace any bit of kit

As always, thank you for your advice

Dave

I have cleaned my refractor objective lenses with the Baader Wonder Fluid and their micro fibre cloth. It works well but it's something I only do sparingly. Mostly I try to blow dust off with a "hurricane" blower (manually powered).

I cleaned mine with Baader Wonder fluid and and a couple of large microfibre cloths. It was a pain to get it all reassembled without dust inbetween the elements of the doublet, so resolved to be a lot more fastidious about caps, plugs and keeping it in the case when not in use.

Russell

You say:

I have noticed a lot of dust on the inside surface of my Altair Astro Starwave refractor objective lens.

If it is on an inside surface how have you used an air puffer on it, you will not be able to get at an inside surface unless you have removed the lens from the scope.

Something isn't quite as you describe, care to clarify ?

not sure if this would work on your scope but with the EP removed if you can wedge 1 or 2 straws on the end of the huricane blowerthe and cut to a suitable length, this will place the 'puff ' of air closer to the back of the optics ?

just dont go too close !

Every clean increases the risk of scratching the lens, so don't clean it if it's not necessary.

I use a air blower to blow off as much dust as possible, then use baader fluid for the initial clean. I finish the lens with Eclipse fluid because it leaves less residue than Baader.

Also, you should remember the rear ED element is softer than the front element and is easier to scratch.

If the dust is between the two objectives then leave well alone and contact Altair Astro.

If the dust is on the inner surface (the surface facing the eyepiece) then it can be cleaned but you will need to remove the objective cell. It is easy to do but I strongly suggest you seek Altair's approval first.

HTH,

Steve

Firstly, many thanks for the helpful replies

If it is on an inside surface how have you used an air puffer on it, you will not be able to get at an inside surface unless you have removed the lens from the scope.

Something isn't quite as you describe, care to clarify ?

Then allow me to clarify. These Starwave scopes have a large format focuser. A 4 inch knurled collar can be unscrewed allowing access the the refractor innards. I have used a puffer to remove most of the dust but some remains.

If the dust is between the two objectives then leave well alone and contact Altair Astro.

Many thanks Steve. I will clarify whether the dust is actually between lens elements and action accordingly.

If it is between elements is this a potential warranty issue?

Dave

Archived