Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Safe to say that a Zoom EP would be great for Lunar & Solar observation?

Rogering1

The William Optics 7.5-22.5 is very smooth in operation and nice optics. I prefer it to the clickstop of Baader HYperion. The Baader has a wider afov at the low end but i wouldn't swap for my WO. The William Optics is identical to the Skywatcher Hyperflex 8E.

• 3 weeks later...

There are some decent zooms about these days - the Hyperion is one as is the William Optics mentioned by Fred above. They do give a little away in field of view, contrast and light scatter control to good fixed focal length eyepieces though, eg: I found the fixed focal length Hyperions were slightly better in these respects than the Hyperion zoom was. The flexibility of the zoom wins some points though but I'd hesitate to recommend a cheap one to be honest.

I have the Seben one and it is great for the price of £50 however,

Whilst i find it brilliant for the moon across it's whole 8-24mm range i struggle to get it below 17/18mm on solar, i just can't get a good focus.

It also kidney beans if your eye isn't just at the right distance.

Planetary, i preferred to use my hyperion 17mm on Jupiter better detail.

The smooth zoom is very nice though.

So, for £50 it is a really good cheap zoom, if you can afford it then definitely get something better.

Archived