Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mesu 200 vs Avalon

Earl

You are correct, EQMOD's core purpose has always been as a PC based synscan replacement. It was never conceived as being "just a driver", the Celestron/Nexstar ASCOM drivers already did that for the EQ mounts. From an EQMOD prespective ASCOM is simply a self contained set of COM interfaces that allow EQMOD to be scripted. That is a pretty standard model for application design and isn't specific to a driver environment (or indeed original to ASCOM). I've never regarded ASCOM as an ideal blueprint for control architecture, rather simply a means to an end.

Irresepctive of the perecieved rights and wrongs of EQMODs design

Chris.

No perceived wrongs from me! Eqmods excellent so well done on that front. (I am just arguing because i find the topic interesting, at work i have been dealing with the same type of problem. Where does one section of functionality end and the next begin?)

I'll have a look at your other software when an update comes out for the mesu.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Olly, no update on mine yet, I've just emailed the retailer asking for a refund and will see what they have to say. I've attached another tracking graph just out of interest, this one was taken last night, every one I take is different to the others as there is no discernable pattern to them, the only thing in common is the very large amplitude and the fast ripple producing unguidable deviations from sidereal rate. If anyone thinks otherwise I would be very grateful for their suggestions.

Mike

Mike, try uninstalling PHD and delete all files left over if any and do a fresh install of the latest version, this solved my guiding issues a few months ago.

Earl, I have my Atlux a couple of feet away from the M-Uno and can lift any of my rigs onto it and it guides perfectly well so I don't think the fault lies with PHD. In fact if I wasn't able to do this I would probably believe the problem was down to me or my guiding software.

Mike

Hi

Just noticed this thread, I have the Avalon fast reverse EQ mount. The tracking and guiding on mine is brill, even better guiding than my EM400. However i am using Pulse guiding and using EQmod and maxim dl. When i first got the mount i could not guide using ST4 auto guiding port, it seemed to lack communication. I am awaiting a new board from Ian king to see if this solves the problem. But to be honest i dont think i that bothered about guiding using ST4, with pulse guiding you got one less cable.

Il update as i go

but im a very happy man with my Avalon mount.

Mike, have Ian King or Avalon replicated your problems using the returned mounts or are they saying all is well with those units?

Alistair, Avalon tell me they can find nothing wrong with the first mount and that it works perfectly well. They have not arranged collection of the second yet but told me it was checked out and confirmed to be ok before it was brought out to me.

• 9 months later...

Olly, no update on mine yet, I've just emailed the retailer asking for a refund and will see what they have to say. I've attached another tracking graph just out of interest, this one was taken last night, every one I take is different to the others as there is no discernable pattern to them, the only thing in common is the very large amplitude and the fast ripple producing unguidable deviations from sidereal rate. If anyone thinks otherwise I would be very grateful for their suggestions.

Mike

Mike - I've just got the Avalon Linear mount (not Uno) and I don't know if the same applies but with PhD backlash settings are zeroed because there is no backlash to take out? I haven't had chance to try mine guiding as it only arrived today and IK @ IKI has given me settings for Maxim as well and they too are virtually zeroed out.

Just a thought - good luck

Archived