Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fitting flex knobs to EQ5

post-22122-0-07729800-1343733612_thumb.jHi all, i recently decided to try some flex drive knobs on my 200p on an EQ5 mount.

Ive been finding it awkward to track sometimes with the knobs in there current positions so i ordered a pair of flex knobs.

First i found the tightening bolts on the flexes to be too weak (sheared off) so i ordered some m4 stainless bolts from the net.

these were perfect, and being smaller, allowed better clearance to fit the mount cover back on.

The difference its made to observing is like night and day! I was thinking of getting a motorised tracking attachment but now i won't bother as all good now. I thought i,d post my experiences as it might help some newbies like myself get more comfortable with their new scope.

got the bolts from westfield fasteners Mark. Problem is, all the engineering kit nowadays seem to have cheap bolts etc.

Give the flex drives a go, you,ll be surprised how good they are.

Anyone else notice the cheap bolt problem? I think the skywatcher is a great scope apart from the fixings.

I suppose it keeps costs down.

So are these flex knobs especially designed for the EQ5, or are they a "fits any mount" sort of product? I've always had a problem with the supplied knobs in that they never go on straight and end up wobbling when turned, but I'm too worried about forcing them on in case of breakage!

My problem is they are constantly coming loose and falling off in the dark no matter how tight I make them - I have to leave the standard knob on the other side to avoid frustration in the middle of tracking. I keep thinking that it would have helped if there was some sort of 'dimple' for the bolt to engage with on the drive shaft thingy (I'm not an engineer or even remotely practical so forgive the language).

ETA: Yep cheap bolts on Skywatcher mounts seems to be standard, the alt/az bolts have a tendency to shear off or warp on the EQ5.

I think it's a problem with Synta scope as a whole. My first scope was a Celestron 130eq and I had the same problem with the screw head bolts, if you try to tighten too much they just snap.

I don't think decent quality fixings would push the price up that much?

I want to try the cables too, the stubby controls get in the way when I try and tighten up the locks sometimes.

I got them from Sherwoods, it said they were meant for the eq5 but i think they are a general fit as i found on one side it was defiantly wobbly so changed to the other side and it fitted like a glove so it could be a prob with the brass shafts on the mount?

Archived