Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How Wales put out my fire for Astronomy.

Pingster

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Nebular. I found an awesome spot in Norfolk and was blow away by its skies. At an estinated 5.8mag about 1.2mag lower than my spot in wales.... It gave wales a good run for its money. I highly recommend the obsure areas of wales on the coast.

Just returned from a few nights stay on the LLeyn Peninsula West Wales at a camp site in Uwchmynydd, what I saw was amazing even at my late age in life I can't honestly remember what the milky way looked like, and when I came out of my tent and looked up I just stared I wasn't even bothered to get my bins out their was so much to see and wonder at just with the naked eye, and that misty trail was awe inspiring. I was glad for my 12 year old daughter who is into astronomy for her to witness what she could only see in photos, and my 9 nine year old son who doesn't follow in his sisters footsteps just looked up and said ''wow dad why is their so many stars and what's that smoke in the sky'' that was worth it.... Def will be returning there, but a shorter distance into the mountains will do for a nights viewing.

at site- LV Mag 7.58 Bortle 1 Galloway- LV Mag 6.77 Bortle 3 just for comparison

Just returned from a few nights stay on the LLeyn Peninsula West Wales at a camp site in Uwchmynydd, what I saw was amazing even at my late age in life I can't honestly remember what the milky way looked like, and when I came out of my tent and looked up I just stared I wasn't even bothered to get my bins out their was so much to see and wonder at just with the naked eye, and that misty trail was awe inspiring. I was glad for my 12 year old daughter who is into astronomy for her to witness what she could only see in photos, and my 9 nine year old son who doesn't follow in his sisters footsteps just looked up and said ''wow dad why is their so many stars and what's that smoke in the sky'' that was worth it.... Def will be returning there, but a shorter distance into the mountains will do for a nights viewing.

at site- LV Mag 7.58 Bortle 1 Galloway- LV Mag 6.77 Bortle 3 just for comparison

The sky quality in mid and west/north wales is superb,im glad you had some clear skies so you could enjoy them with your family.I live in south wales but the skies here come no where near to them,im considering putting my tourer on a seasonal pitch in that area so i can spend next summer/autumn admiring the milky way.

I live in north Wales place called Colwyn bay just moved to a new house and I'm well pleased. I have a massive back garden with no light pollution at all and a massive field which is pitch black. Went down the other night and wow I could do far into the milky way.

my camping trip didnt turn out great weather wise, so was little to report. however i had a clear spell from about midnight till 2 a.m and the milky way was clearly visible. i estimated around a bortle 5 maybe 4. stars just filled the sky in all directions . no light pollution , just the sound of owls ! fantastic while it lasted. ( this was about 5 miles out of builth wells,powys)

a recomended site by the way, the facillities were superb,people friendly and a nice dark sky albeit with clouds :tongue: .

Archived