NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone runnign Macbook for field laptop?

kirkster501

^^^^

As above guys. I'm running a powerful Macbook (i7 2012, 8Gig).

Anyone running EQmod, CdC, PHD and other field AP software on OSX? Or is a VM in windows the way to go?

Appreciate your thoughts. I no longer have a PC Windows laptop, only a Macbook as of yesterday and not had a play yet. Would rather not have to shell out for a windows laptop (thats money for a autoguider :) )

Thanks, Steve

I run PHD, Maxim and Artemis capture on my Macbook but on a Bootcamp install of WinXP. It all runs smoothly except it doesn't like any USB hubs I've tried to expand the 2 you get on the Macbook. Crashes and dodgy frames from my Atik 314l are common whenever I try to use a hub. Other than that it works fine.

I'm running PHD, Nebulosity, Cartes Du Ciel (although I prefer other planetarium apps) and EQMac ( http://hulse.id.au/eqmac/ ) written by OzDave here on SGL. There's several planetarium apps that work well (Equinox, Stellarium, The Sky etc etc) and I'm currently running a Lodestar/SXV-H9, SX Filterwheel all through a powered hub ( this one ). I've yet to have a problem with the hub either of a USB nature or in terms of running several items through it at the same time on my MacBook (13" i7 2.8Ghz late 2011) model. In fact on finding a hub that worked so well I bought four of them as a back up... :smiley:

I haven't got Windows installed either via Bootcamp or via Parallels etc :smiley: So it can be done...

James

Using MacBook Pro 15" early 2011, i7 2.2 with 16GB of RAM. I use Nebulosity 2 + PHD on Windows at the moment for capture then PixInsight 64bit on the mac (hence the 16GB) for processing.

Only time I've used Windows/Parallels is for capture due to the lack of ATIK support on native Mac. So I have worked with ATIK under NDA to provide support on Mac.. actually I'm working on that today as I type :) I have worked with OzDave to get a mac ASCOM alternative (AOSX) ready.. due to time constraints it's slower than I'd like.

Now Parallels is charging £65 for compatibility upgrade for 10.8.. I feel I should just get a move on and finish the ATIK support already! I've been in contact with Craig Stark who is willing to pull ATIK/AOSX into PHD, Nebulosity etc.

Anyway back to work :D

... I feel I should just get a move on and finish the ATIK support already! I've been in contact with Craig Stark who is willing to pull ATIK/AOSX into PHD, Nebulosity etc.

Craig's good like that :smiley:

I'm looking forward to the results of your hard labours Nick :grin:

James

Using MacBook Pro 15" early 2011, i7 2.2 with 16GB of RAM. I use Nebulosity 2 + PHD on Windows at the moment for capture then PixInsight 64bit on the mac (hence the 16GB) for processing.

Only time I've used Windows/Parallels is for capture due to the lack of ATIK support on native Mac. So I have worked with ATIK under NDA to provide support on Mac.. actually I'm working on that today as I type :) I have worked with OzDave to get a mac ASCOM alternative (AOSX) ready.. due to time constraints it's slower than I'd like.

Now Parallels is charging £65 for compatibility upgrade for 10.8.. I feel I should just get a move on and finish the ATIK support already! I've been in contact with Craig Stark who is willing to pull ATIK/AOSX into PHD, Nebulosity etc.

Anyway back to work :D

I quite agree, get your finger out! :)

On a prior note though, what compatibility update? I'm running ML and Parallels 7 without issue ...

Also check out the iStack software bundle, they come out every other month or so for $49 and normally includes Parallels.

I confess I picked up my copy of Parallels 7 last month when they dropped the price to $19.99 for 24 hours :D

The test app takes it's first 383L+ snapshot... mwahahaha *ahem*

I may just get the basic application tidied as a pre-alpha test for people to try shortly :D (just connect and snapshot atm.. no temps or things like save image)

Nice one :) Worth me giving it a roll on a 314L+ OSC in the week, or do you think it won't support it as yet?

As it stands it's not close to being useable for AP at the moment - the idea is to ensure that the thing works on others machines with a small subset.

The 3-series (including the new ones) should work with the driver however currently they're not enabled in the USB detecting mechanism (although just plugging it in will show up or not :D in the window.

As it stands it's not close to being useable for AP at the moment - the idea is to ensure that the thing works on others machines with a small subset.

The 3-series (including the new ones) should work with the driver however currently they're not enabled in the USB detecting mechanism (although just plugging it in will show up or not :D in the window.

I understand it's pre-alpha and not suitable for use ;) (Software dev too!)

If it's of any use to try it with a 3-series, I will give it a go :) If you think it's better to wait, I'll save it for a later build.

I understand it's pre-alpha and not suitable for use ;) (Software dev too!)

If it's of any use to try it with a 3-series, I will give it a go :) If you think it's better to wait, I'll save it for a later build.

That's good to note (a dev with a 314 ;)) - I would be interested to see what happens, I've only got access to 383, Titan and 16ic. It'll output logging into the system log at the moment. I'll sort out the full tracer.log too with v2.

Archived