Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

USB to Serial convertor

gary1968

Howdy,

I am looking to buy / make a USB to Serial convertor to connect my SLT to my lappy. I have tried to find out info about building this on the web , to no avail.... :wink:

There are plenty for sale, from a few quid up to £20 for one I seen in Maplin.

I'm not sure what the differances are, some seem to have a chip set in the connector and others don't ????

Is it possible to make this or will it have to be bought, and if I'm to buy one which one do I buy. I'm looking to use NSOL and NS control pad with the scope.

I will also be buying Nexremote eventually, once I have the lappy communicating with the scope reliably.

Any advise on this will be greatly appriciated.....

Clear skies,

Gary

Gary - I brought one of the really really cheap ones from Ebay and it was a load of rubbish for what I wanted it to do - ended up getting 2 of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-to-9-Pin-Serial-Adaptor-Converter-RS232-SENT-TODAY_W0QQitemZ270161301461QQihZ017QQcategoryZ42322QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and they work perfectly - one for controlling the mount and the other for long exposure with my camera...

They are a little bit more expensive than most of the ones on ebay but they definitely work! (Plus came next day, bonus!)

Archived