Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M24 - Sagittarius Star Cloud (and a little M18 too)

Roel

Last night I went on a trip to my favourite observing site 20 miles from my home. Because of the warm summer evening temperatures I did not travel by car but tied everything onto my little 1971 Honda moped and drove off to Lochem, The Netherlands. In my backpack I carried a very cheap 70mm refractor that I can use on my photo tripod.

M24 doesn't rise very high at my lattitute (52N), but was well visible in the tiny refractor at 16x. A very nice widefield view.

I sketched the brightest stars with a black pen and used a sharp 2H graphite pencil for the "mist" of unresolved stars.

In the north-northeast corner of the sketch M18 is visible as a tiny open cluster:

Schets_M24_20120727_600px.jpg

Picture of the little Honda: http://www.roelblog.nl/2012/07/schets-messier-24-de-sagittarius-sterrenwolk-en-een-beetje-m18/ (scroll down)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived