NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CG 5 Mount Problem-a Case of RIP?

I have a Celestron CG 5 Advanced series Go-to Mount (7 years old now) which ‘died’ on me Monday night. At the time the mount was tracking a pair of double stars whilst I focussed on them to do some tests with a cctv camera I have (the camera and laptop being mains fed). Suddenly the hand controller screen turned off and the led power light on the mount was also unlit. I checked the power lead from the power tank, the cable LED was lit up at the power tank end. I tried the CG 5 ‘on-off’ switch several times but the light on the mount did not light up. I also checked the fastness of each of the socket connections on the mount then took each one out in turn and re-fixed them in their sockets. That evening I was using a new (2nd time out) SkyWatcher power tank (7 Amphours) that was completely charged up before use. My observing session lasted around an hour before the incident.

The following day I rechecked again all the cable connections using combinations of three non-Celestron power cables and two power tanks (SkyWatcher 7 Amp Hour and a Pro User PS1800). On each occasion the power lead LEDs lit up but the mounts LED did not. The Pro User power tank has provided power to the mount for 4 years previously.

I am aware of the documented issues with the power ‘on-off’ switch on the CG 5 and after a problem with the power switch a couple of years ago I leave the power lead fixed to a leg of the tripod with room for the cable to move. I leave the mount ‘on-off’ switch in the ‘on’ position so the mount immediately comes on when connected to the power tank. I am aware of the adjustments that can be made to the split central pin inside the power connection of the mount and the piece of metal (flap) that can be adjusted inside the power connection of the mount to make better connection with the side of the power cable pin. I have tried increasing the split pin/metal flap but to no avail. Having removed the mount’s DEC compartment plastic exterior I could find no obvious ‘issue’ inside. I don’t have a spare mount to test the power cables/power packs on but I would have considered the probability of not one of them working to be very unlikely.

Being unable to do anything more myself right now I feel almost resigned to purchasing a replacement mount. I know it’s a thin straw but...have any other forum Members had a similar issue and any further ideas I could pursue before I dip my hand into my pocket?

I recall that 2 years ago ago when I asked dealers if they did mount repairs I was told no. This may have changed-does anyone know of a dealer they have used that is able to carry out repairs to Celestron mounts that are out of warranty?

In the meantime I have rediscovered the joys of binocular viewing. :grin:

P.S. I’m intrigued as to how long a Go-To CG 5 lives for? I'd be interested to learn from forum Members on how long their mounts have lasted?

Thanks (in anticipation),

Steve

Thanks guys. I've checked the cable fuses-none seem blown and even taken them out and moved them between the 3 power cables I have but no power on light. I've opened the centre pin astrofox but again no joy. I'll see if there's a local repairs shop that could electrically check out the cables and mount connections and LED. I'd still be interested if others with CG 5 mounts could post how long their's have lasted. I rather imagined they would last for many, many years, mine has never been left outside after use and is stored in a well ventilated room.

Thanks Again,

Steve

Hi Nebula

The fact that you dont have the led on the input panel lit, sounds to me like a easy job for a competant electrician. You have power at the batteries but no powerr on the first circuit board. Good luck, Pity your not nearer to me I could quickly chase the connections through.

Just got a new rig the other day which included a CG5 mount, so whereas I cannot give any advice in that quarter I was looking for advice regarding the set up of the mount as I am finding the instructions a bit on the tricky side. I have a Nexstar 127SLT also and have only recently got to grips with it fully and now I am with the CG5 and it appears to be a whole step up in every respect. Is there a setup video out there for the CG5? I usually find it easier if I can see something done rather than by trying to decipher an instruction book. Coupled to that the fact that Celestron instruction manuals arn't the best in the world.

Hi everyone. Thanks again for the advice. I managed to find a friendly and local electrical repairs shop and the guy fixed the poblem in under a day. Apparently it was a faulty power switch that over time had gone the way of all things. Despite me having secured the power cable to the leg of the mount and kept the on-off switch in the 'on' position (following a problem a few years ago) the switch had further deteriorated over time.

If anyone in the Notts area needs a decent and reasonably priced electrical person to look at any poorly mount please don't hesitate to contact me-I can give you the proprietors contact details and he has said he is happy to look into any similar electrical problem for folks.

Again thanks to everyone who responded. There's life in the old CG 5 yet!

Steve

Thanks, having had a chance to try out the mount since I got it home it looks like he has electrically disconnected the 'on-off' power switch completely and wired it such that the mount is always powered 'on' when connected to a power supply. The LED now lights up when connected to the power pack. I wasn't looking forward to paying £525 out for a replacement mount :-) From his comments it seems he wasn't that enamoured by the switch itself and could understand why it eventually failed. From my trawl of the Internet the power switch seems the weakest point in what is otherwise a good mount. Strangely having overcome the problem I do feel a closer affinity with the mount.

Best regards again to all for your helpful comments.

Steve

Archived