Is it worth stargazing in the summer?

Must admit, my stargazing has gone on ice this summer due to poor weather, the long daylight hours and needing as much sleep as i can get (getting to grips with new job and running around non-stop after 2 year old and pregnant wife!). That said, i'll definitely be out on 11th/12th to see the Perseids in their glory (weather permitting).

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally think its a three season sport. It ends in may and we're just about to kick off again. Agree with everyone else though the milky way was absolutely stunning last night so the new season is just about to start for me once I'm back off my holidays... Really looking forward to it.

I must say I have misgivings in certain respects, but at least it is warmer. On the downside there is the lack of true darkness and this Summer has been a waste of time due to the rubbish weather. I take delivery of my new C9.25 tomorrow and I hope and pray that I will be able to get some use out of it sooner rather than later.

I remember earlier this year I bought a couple of new Baader Hyperion eyepieces and it was a good 2 months from time of delivery to me actually using them for the first time. Roll on Autumn I say......

Yes it's dark enough now by 11ish here in Kent, good couple of hours both last night and the night before and still time to get some sleep for work!

As little observing i do in the summer, now is about the time of year when i will start to get back out there. As John says..........its now dark enough by 11pm to be able to get a couple of hours in...............if its clear.

I'll be taking my scope outside now within the next 2 weeks.

p.s.~~~Like almost everyone else here, my year in general has been ruined by the weather as far back as March. Its only in the last 4-5 days that i've seen a couple of clear nights.

definitely better in the winter, but you have to what you get in the summer.short sessions are better than no sessions, you can always do some white light solar observing or just lay on the lounger with some low power bino's and see what comes along

The further north you are the worse it is because there's a longer period when it isn't actually considered to get "properly" dark at all, but i've been out on pretty much every available opportunity this summer. I've not started before 11:30pm generally though, and often don' finish until between 1am and 2am (or even much later, last night).

James

Every opportunity hey James. so you've been out twice then? :grin:

Scott

In Finland nights are white in summer. Now slowly we start to get a little darker for one or two hours. Still good skies allow for nice planet and moon watching, double stars, open clusters. Last week I managed M15 and M31 and the double open in Perseus. And practicing new drills with the scope and mount. I go out whenever I can!

I don't think there's much left for me to say that hasn't already been said!

For me, I have had some great nights (especially last Sunday), but where I am, it has been around 11:30 where it starts to get interesting and 12:30 where it appears to be properly dark. So yes, yes, yes! Get yourself out there and take advantage of clear nights that aren;t too cold! :)

I definitely think it is, despite the lack of truly dark nights and the general later starts for observing. There is a lot of interesting objects to look at in the summer months.

Archived