Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what EP for the milkway belt????

scoobee

I have a nexstar 4se

I am looking to purchase an EP to view the milkyway belt to give the max effect.

Does a telescope have a max in a widefield EP/ sounds daft but have been told they do.

Any thoughts

I don't find any scope really delivers a wide enough field of view to do the Milky Way justice. Even my F/6.5 102mm refractor with the 31mm Nagler eyepiece only shows just under 4 degrees of sky which shows just a very small portion of the Milky Way.

I find dark skies combined with either the naked eye or 7x50 binoculars shows a nice view of the MW starfields.

You might be better off using a DSLR and camera lens fitted to the mount or piggy-backed to the scope for wide field images of the Milky Way - not so useful for visual work I will admit, and I think that the 'Mark 1' eyeball is probably your best bet for that.

Keith,

Concerning the borg few month back I was at a car boot sale and one small borg was on offer £18 after a haggle not sure of the spec but I guess we learn by our mistakes!!!

thanks for the post

You will not be able to see the whole of the northern part of the milky way in your scope, atuually I would say in any scope. They just do not have the field of view that are generally required.

The 4SE being a long focal length mak is also a very narrow field of view scope in general.

To see as much as possible then a long focal eyepiece will be required, the 40mm would be good however the 40mm will give no real grater view then a 32mm. There is a field stop involved in the 40mm that causes this.

I would say that the idea of ataching a DSLR to the 4SE is questionable. The DSLR will weigh a reasonable amount, and the mount is Alt/Az.

As for not getting a Borg for £18 :eek: that is simply unforgivable.

You will not be able to see the whole of the northern part of the milky way in your scope, atuually I would say in any scope. They just do not have the field of view that are generally required.

The 4SE being a long focal length mak is also a very narrow field of view scope in general.

To see as much as possible then a long focal eyepiece will be required, the 40mm would be good however the 40mm will give no real grater view then a 32mm. There is a field stop involved in the 40mm that causes this.

I would say that the idea of ataching a DSLR to the 4SE is questionable. The DSLR will weigh a reasonable amount, and the mount is Alt/Az.

As for not getting a Borg for £18 :eek: that is simply unforgivable.

Thanks for your reply.

I have used my DSLR on the end of my scope before and have noticed the gears seem to strain, mind my DSLR is an old one using 4AA batteries.

Concerning the EP situation, I presumed that their was some restrictions on EP, so then I should aim for an EP with a wide field by degree's?

As for the Borg, it looked small and toy liked, until I got home and was searching the internet, you never know someone else might do a house clearance and slip up.

To get the widest view in a telescope - most often people use a 2" eyepiece which allows for a wider field than provided by 1.25" . Your telescope or the 6SE will only allow you ot use 1.25".eyepiece That said a 32mm 1.25" will still give some pretty good views.

andrew

Archived