Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Elusive Galactic Pair: Observing session 23 July 2012

webboid

I had a pretty good session last night but I didn't think the seeing was too good. My lack of experience means I am not sure how to assess this correctly. To me the stars would not focus well. Scope is collimated OK

I tried to revisit some of the targets I saw the night before but skyglow caused me some trouble. But I did get to see M10 & M12 again & had a look at them with my new ep Meade hd60 9 mm. They did seem better than the stock 10mm sw one but because if the sky glow & seeing could not fully assess it's capability, certainly sharper & a bit brighter. Also M57 was more distinct. However I digress.

My main mission was to hunt out M81 & M82. Ursa Major seems to be getting lower on the northern horizon now so a bit of skyglow again was affecting the view. But my biggest problem is the star hop. I am starting from Dubhe & always seem to get lost. I restarted several times & then seem to loose my way. I frustration about 1.30am this morning when I was about to call it a day I decided I must be in the right place or there abouts. So I went to the eyepiece & tracked about a bit. As luck had it just a FOV or so from where I was I had found M81. Just a half an FOV away I found M82.

After several attempt over the last few months I found them. I was made up. They were pretty good to look at too.

To end things I revisited Andromeda to confirm whether I had seen M32 the night before & indeed that is what I saw. M31 from my urban garden is really just the core. I did see a bit of an oval shape around it's periphery. I then concentrated very hard in trying to detect M110. I'm 99% sure I did see it extremely faint on the opposite side to M32. It appeared as a very thin streak only visible with averted vision or slightly moving the scope.

Very satisfying can't wait for tonight

Paul

Glad you were rewarded with M81 and 82 - a lovely sight even it modest telescopes. And M110 is much more defuse like a puff of smoke so sounds like you saw it. These DSO will be easier targets when the darker nights of autumn return. As you saw M110 have a go at M33 - it will have a similar appearance only a slighly lager puff of smoke - at least this is how they appear in my 4" !

andrew

Archived