NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M71 Globular in Sagitta

DarkerSky

Stunning clarity to the sky last night. Really dark with the Milky way looking awesome overhead. Was out for about 1.5 hours sketching the M71 Globular Cluster in Sagitta. I love this globular. It's quirky with a bit of a claw shape to it. Some stars resolved, and also a mottling to the background left of centre. 12" x150 magnification. 22.45 UT to 00-15UT

M71-GlobularCluster-1.jpg

Stunning clarity to the sky last night. Really dark with the Milky way looking awesome overhead. Was out for about 1.5 hours sketching the M71 Globular Cluster in Sagitta. I love this globular. It's quirky with a bit of a claw shape to it. Some stars resolved, and also a mottling to the background left of centre. 12" x150 magnification. 22.45 UT to 00-15UT

Its funny but when you really look at globulars they take on different shapes, I've been reading Stephen O'Mearas Messier Objects and he picks out all sorts of shapes and creatures.

Yep the Milky way has been stunning the last few nights, I've probably spent as much time just looking at it as I have looking through my EP at objects.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd add my sketch of M71 to this thread aswell just for comparison sake as both are sketched with 12" scopes and similar FoV.

Sketched from home last night in fairly poor seeing conditions (Antoniadi III) and I agree with what Seb mentions in his original post that its a quirky little globular.

Interesting to see the differences between mine and Sebs sketch. I couldnt pick out the full glob which left a gap between running right through the middle?! I only took 40mins viewing and sketching so maybe my dark adaption wasnt at its best or maybe my skies needed to be slightly darker?

Nice globular though and one which I'm looking forward to seeing from a dark site. :)

post-20821-0-50178700-1345709978_thumb.j

Mike, that's brilliant. A fantastic sketch and intriguing observation. Could be a difference in the contrast we got between the brighter and fainter parts of the globular from our different locations / sky conditions. I've not viewed this from a really dark location either. Let me know what it looks like when you get a view on it from a dark sky.

Archived