Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EOS Error 70

Gina

While using my 1100D under APT taking a series of darks the camera locked up and APT reported "Busy". Switched off and on again and tried EOS Utilities which came up with "Err 70". Googling gave this info :- http://www.reikan.co...hy/blog/?p=1550

Since I'm running the camera specially for AP and it's in a box, I had to open the box and connect a camera back to the main board connectors so that I could use the camera menu. I went through the menu looking for a Reset option which I found and used to reset the camera settings. Then went back through the menu to set things up again as I wanted for remote operation. After that everything was back to normal with everything working fine from the USB in EOS Utilities and APT.

SO... somehow the settings had become corrupted and needing clearing. Thought this info would be helpful to others and save worries - the EOS help says to send the camera back for repair if you get an "Error 70" - not helpful!

I see a problem in that you haven't thought about "what" caused those setting to corrupt .... dodgy circuitry, partially fused component .... "return to manufacturer" is not always a bad thing ;)

Granted, you might have a hard time explaining why your camera is in 48 different bits :D

I see a problem in that you haven't thought about "what" caused those setting to corrupt .... dodgy circuitry, partially fused component .... "return to manufacturer" is not always a bad thing ;)

Granted, you might have a hard time explaining why your camera is in 48 different bits :D

You might just be right there :D Particularly as most of the smaller plastic off-cuts went in the bin. I save major parts, of course, but restoring one of my AP modified cameras back to "as bought" would be quite impossible. If I destroy a camera or part it's a matter of replacement. This possibility I'm fully aware of :D I do all these mods at my own risk. I do what I can to minimise the risk, of course. Most of the more exciting/interesting things in life involve a certain amount of risk of some sort.

Non-volatile, battery powered, RAM can get corrupted in many ways, I've found and often the cure is to reset it or remove/replace it's battery which does much the same thing.

Well, Stephen, it looks like you might have been right after all. The camera has now failed completely. So it seems a component must have failed. There is now no sign of life whatever. Tried taking camera out of the box and using battery power - nothing. Connected a camera back to the main board and that shows the camera as dead too - no display and no red light. No USB seen by computer. Seems to be a power issue and though I have a power assembly from my other dud camera, the other main board was canibalised to repair this camera. I can try the power assembly but don't hold out much hope.

I can get a US version of the 1100D - a Rebel T3 - from eBay for just over £200 inc, shipping from a UK supplier but I don't know what the difference is. I doubt tha difference, if any, would be significant.

I'm not messing about with the innards of cameras anymore today - I've had enough :D

Archived