Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Secondhand Meade ETX 90 £50 worth it?

I found a secondhand Meade ETX 90 going for £50. It has no tripod and (although I haven't asked yet) no controls. Comes with 2 EPs and said the mirrors are clean and in good condition.

Do you think it's worth it and what would I need to look out for when going to view it?

Cheers

Without a handset you cannot tell if it works, so either motor may be kaput.

A replacement handset is either rare as hens teeth, and/or a bit expensive, think you need the 497 for the ETX-90.

Without the ability to set it up, usually time consuming, you cannot really tell much. You cannot look through it at anything, and you cannot see the motors drive the scope as there is no handset. Any idea what happened to the handset ?

Could check to see if it is an ETX-90 or the ETX-90 RA.

The RA's didn't have a handset owing to how they were used.

Have you a picture of it ? Especially pictures of both sides ?

What is AstroClassifieds in your post, I get lots of equipment lists but all with a quantity of 0.

Without a handset you cannot tell if it works, so either motor may be kaput.

A replacement handset is either rare as hens teeth, and/or a bit expensive, think you need the 497 for the ETX-90.

Without the ability to set it up, usually time consuming, you cannot really tell much. You cannot look through it at anything, and you cannot see the motors drive the scope as there is no handset. Any idea what happened to the handset ?

Could check to see if it is an ETX-90 or the ETX-90 RA.

The RA's didn't have a handset owing to how they were used.

Have you a picture of it ? Especially pictures of both sides ?

What is AstroClassifieds in your post, I get lots of equipment lists but all with a quantity of 0.

Thanks for the advice, seems I might be a little out of my depth :)

Here's the photo;

post-24741-0-46045500-1342530812_thumb.j

I already have a cash zapping project ongoing so probably best to just leave this well alone.

AstroClassifieds is a website I'm currently developing, brand new hence no ads yet.

I have an ETX90 and it's a great little scope. It's an early version, you just switch it on and it drives, no handset involved, it also has manual drives in both axes. Three short legs convert it into a table top equatorial. Should be a good buy at £50. :smiley:

Yes the ETX90 is a nice little scope.

Look at horizon objects using high magnification and ensure it is good optically. Electricity pylons are good for showing defects. Though you might need to settle on a nearby object like a TV aerial.

Assuming it passes optically, it is probably worth £50 for the tube only as a grab n go or spotting scope, as it stands.

These scopes can be quite a few years old and whether it is still good depends on where it has been used and kept. If stored with dust plugs and in the dry, it will have much better reflecting surfaces than if left with dust plugs out, and in a damp shed. Or even (as a refractor I once bought) used as a lounge/drawing room ornament. That had very dusty glass! The shiny exterior metalwork (screw heads, knobs, etc) is a guide to what to expect from the 'innards'.

If the motor drive is OK, then things start to look better.

That looks like the RA model, the small adjustors on the side imply this. It doesn't have a handset.

The idea is to put it on an eqitorial platform, align the platform axis with the earths axis.

Then you aim the scope manually, release clutches and move by hand/eye, then lock it again.

The RA motor of the scope should then track the object anf keep it in view.

I think that you really need the Meade Tripod that should have come with it. As I think with only one motor it needs to be on an equitorial type mount and with the Meade tripod you can angle the base plate as you accomplish with an equitorial.

Perhaps someone that has one will have more information.

Assuming it passes optically, it is probably worth £50 for the tube only as a grab n go or spotting scope

Agreed, that is exactly what I use for white light solar observing. The tube is mounted on an alt-az mount with slow motions (in my equipment list below).

The tube is easy to remove from the mount (4 screws).

Regards, Ed.

If you need an ETX tripod, I've got one you can have, don't want anything for it, it's been sat in the shed for 2 years gathering dust, rather see it go to a good home, I'll never us it again anyway, you can have it if you pay the postage. If your interest PM me with your details.

If you need an ETX tripod, I've got one you can have, don't want anything for it, it's been sat in the shed for 2 years gathering dust, rather see it go to a good home, I'll never us it again anyway, you can have it if you pay the postage. If your interest PM me with your details.

Wow thanks, that's extremely generous of you however, I have decided to give it a miss as I have my 12" LB that needs some attention and I really need to stay away from temptation until I have atleast pimped it up a little :)

You guys have been great though, as usual, thanks again.

Wow thanks, that's extremely generous of you however, I have decided to give it a miss as I have my 12" LB that needs some attention and I really need to stay away from temptation until I have atleast pimped it up a little :)

You guys have been great though, as usual, thanks again.

No worries, if you change your mind let me know.

Archived