Good or bad idea?

I want to eventually purchase a nice set of eye pieces. Say 90-120$ a piece pieces... However the budget is not there right now... Would it be such a bad idea to get something like this for the time being? Or will it look so horrible it isn't worth it?

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-PowerSeeker-Accessory-Kit-Telescope/dp/B004OUMTT2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=IG8UNZ1CXEQ3Q&colid=PBVBO2WUQOWK

I have an Orion xt8 1200mm focal length 8" mirror. With the default 25mm lens.

I also don't have any filters, and man is the moon bright. :p

We have a natural moon filter present in the UK at the moment. Unfortunately it's too dark and has been around several months too long...

However, I'd pass on that kit and buy a decent moon filter if you feel the need for one and then save for decent eyepieces. If you see one with a plastic mount with "moon" stamped or embossed on it, move on quickly. It is possible to get a polarised filter that allows you to change the amount of light passing through it to suit conditions, but I have no idea how much they are or how they compare to a decent standard filter.

James

Is this a British forum? I totally missed something.Any how this revelation kit seems cool but seems Britain is the only place to but it a quick glance. Also its 152£ the kit I was looking at was like 20£

I'll be buying nice pieces in the future but wanted a cheap acceptable kit, say under 50$, to suffice till I can get what I want.

The eyepiece isn't good in the kit you are looking at.

Not sure about the filters, you at least get a blue, red and a moon filter and the case.

For eyepieces go look at the Astro-Tech paradigms, Astronomics sell them at $60, for the cost you won't get much better.

SGL is based in the UK but we have a lot of members from the US on it, getting more and more. Quite a few from California as it happens - just posted a reply to another Ca resident 20 minutes ago.

At this rate there will soon be California Social Group.

I agree with the above assessments. Kelner EPs er not great, and in an F/6 scope I would get something better. Try secondhand stuff: EPs can last a lifetime if treated properly, and lots of people sell stuff as they upgrade. Most of them will have treated the EPs with a great deal of care. Two of my four Naglers are secondhand. My best binoculars and solar scope are also secondhand.

I agree: go second hand. Get yourself onto Astromart or the Cloudy Nights classifieds pages. Those are US-based sites. You only need one or two more eyepieces then save up for a nicer one. Don't waste your money on a moon filter. Just use a higher power and let your eyes adapt. You'll see more detail that way. In absolute terms the moon isn't very bright. It just seems bright to your eyes because everything else is so dark at night.

Archived