Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My new Observatory Set up

Si W

Hi All

I have recently upgraded my Old LXD75 Mount which carried my SN10 F4 to a New Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro with an 8" extension Tube, also I treated myself to a Skysurfer V Red Dot Finder, This is now my permanent Observatory Set up, the LXD75 has been demoted to be my Grab and Go mount. My guide scope is a Skywatcher Short tube 120mm F4.9 with a x2 barlow, Guiding is brilliant, plus I'm now able to use EQMOD which I'm really impressed with, the pointing accuracy is fantastic compared to the LXD75.

post-7274-0-42944000-1342283291_thumb.jp

post-7274-0-74376800-1342283350_thumb.jp

post-7274-0-28591900-1342283398_thumb.jp

post-7274-0-03737900-1342283467_thumb.jp

Thanks

Simon

Very nice Si. Which shed is that? Is it metal?

It's the metal shed, 7 x 6 foot, couldn't really go any bigger, I've got a small garden, I built the shed about 9 months ago just to house the LXD75, but I've given it a good re-vamp recently, I'm really happy everything is now finished, and I have got it exactly how I want it, even put carpet down to keep the cold a bay.

Very nice setup. So you are imaging at F4 and guiding at F10 and getting good results and can find guide stars OK?

I am asking because I have a ED100-F9 and may try it out for guiding (currently using a 100mm F4 Achro with a reducer giving F2.8, loads of bright stars to choose from)

Very nice setup. So you are imaging at F4 and guiding at F10 and getting good results and can find guide stars OK?

I am asking because I have a ED100-F9 and may try it out for guiding (currently using a 100mm F4 Achro with a reducer giving F2.8, loads of bright stars to choose from)

Thanks. I'm Finding Guide star's without any problems, I still do need to smooth things out a bit, not done a PEC yet, which I'm hoping to do tonight weather permitting, then run it though PecPrep, only had the mount just over a week, I did get a good 4 hours session in last weekend.

I'm working on the principal of having a greater focal length on the Guide scope so picking up any slight movement, the Meade SN10 is 1012mm and the Short tube refactor is 1200mm with the Barlow fitted, I did a star trail test last weekend with some long exposure's, not really for the image quality just star trials, and it was a great success.

Hi Simon,

I am considering building a small observatory and yours looks like an ideal set up.

My main interest is planetary/lunar (C9.25 on HEQ5pro) but I would like to try my hand at some dslr deep sky stuff.

I don't really want to sink a pier and I notice that you are using your tripod with extension on a carpet covered concrete base which presumably works OK?

I had planned on a plastic shed and wondered on the pros and cons of metal versus plastic?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Regards,

Alan

Hi Alan

The Floor of the Observatory is a concrete base with 2 layers of plastic sheeting, the carpet itself is foam backed so the weight of the scope pushes it down without any resistance, or effect on the scopes levelling, the idea behind the extension tube was to stop the tripod legs from spreading out to far, as it's only 7 x 6 feet floor, floor space is limited, and it help to get the scope an extra 8 ins higher to look over the walls of the Observatory. The extension tube is an excellent idea from Skywatcher, and it's solid as a rock, no movement what so ever.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your prompt reply and I can see that the extension tube is a really good idea to minimise the spread of the tripod legs. Time to start mixing concrete then ... my back aches at the thought of it, but at least I've got a month or two of "summer" to get it up and running !

Cheers,

Alan

Strewth Si that look fantastic :shocked:

Just a couple of questions though-

Do you keep all that gear in there permanently?

I'd be worried about break ins.

Do you ever get any condensation problems in the winter months?

Strewth Si that look fantastic :shocked:

Just a couple of questions though-

Do you keep all that gear in there permanently?

I'd be worried about break ins.

Do you ever get any condensation problems in the winter months?

Yes I do keep it all in there permanently, unless I go on holiday, then everything except the desk goes round to my mothers, especially if the house is empty, on the point of security the metal shed has been riveted, the assembly of these type of shed when you buy them is with screws, not very secure at all, all you would need to do is unscrew 9 screws and one of the panels could be taken off without making any noise, so by riveting it in effect make's it more of an obstruction, second line of defence, Big Dog, and he's very territorial, pity anyone who come's in the garden.

As for condensation, I use a halogen heater, it's not 100%, but does the job, especially in the summer month's, I'm going to invest in a de-humidify before September is out. managed to get it though this winter (it's first winter) without any major problem.

Edit: Forgot to add, all 4 corner of the rolling roof are G-Clapped down, so no one can lift the roof off either, plus wind damage.

At the moment just a pad lock, I have come up with a cunning plan, I'm going to use a metal grated sheet fencing (the ones you see on building sites) and cut it to the same size as the door space and secure it with pad locks on all 4 corners.

At the moment just a pad lock, I have come up with a cunning plan, I'm going to use a metal grated sheet fencing (the ones you see on building sites) and cut it to the same size as the door space and secure it with pad locks on all 4 corners.

bit of added security, try to electrify the grated sheet fencing, just remember to disconnect before you touch it lol

Thanks Si.

I don't think i would sleep or rest if it was me :shocked:

I'd have mines set round the shed and cover the whole thing in barbed wire.

The best form of defence is camouflage and discreteness , as a rule of thumb the rails arn't put into place, and the roof is not rolled off till after dark, apart from when I took the pictures for this thread and Gallery picture's, then the roof was roll back on so not attracting any attention, I'm surrounded by house's on all side's, and a main road at the front, so fairly safe, if i backed off fields or waste land then that would be a whole new ball game, at least i'm concelled, and i have high fence's on all side's, and a seven foot side gate, so it's not overlooked from the main road either. With all the security already in place plus the Dog sleeps in the back of the house, some one would be hard pressed to get away with it without marking a lot of noise. Most burglarious are opportunist and are looking for an easy target, the name of the game is not to be an easy target.

PHOT0012

Archived