Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Revelation 20x80's

Chris

I'm already the proud owner of some 10x50 and 8x40 bins both of which I like alot for hand held scanning, the problem is I've now become quite fond of using 2 eyes to do visual Astronomy with and I wouldn't mind some more aperture and power so I can pick out more DSO's and maybe make out such wonders as the rings of saturn. I know I could get a binoviewer instead but theres something about bins I really like, maybe its because they are still worth getting out when its partially cloudy which is too often the case!:D

Anyway, I notice that a lot of cheaper 20x80 bins look very similar and I'm sure I've read comments on here about them being made in the same Chinese factory (something like kunnings optics or something that sounds like this?) I have also noticed that the Revelation 20x80 bins are what seems to be obsurdly cheap at just 88 pounds!

What I would like to know is are these indeed just the same as say the Celestron 20x80's which retail for about 35 quid more, and does anyone have any experience with the Revelation 20x80's?

I know that I should probably expect them to need collimating on arrival if I bought a pair, but once collimated how good or bad are they?

I know that something like the Helios quantums, or the Visonary HD would be better but they are also 3 times the price so I would have to sell something like my WO66 which would be quite a painful loss!, maybe I could buy another second hand WO66 Apo and stick 2 of these together with a set of six diagonals to get the eyes right?:D

Opinions Please?

Hi Protostar,

I have a pair and they are excellent value for money. They can be a bit heavy for holding up to your eyes but you can get away with it. On a tripod the view is stunning , and example would be the orion nebula where the whole of the sword of orion fits in the field of view.

I must admit, I was thinking the same as you , that they were too cheap to be any good but I was really surprised with how good they were.

If you have any questions then just ask :laugh:

Astronymonkey

I got a pair of cheap-as-chips 15x70 Omegon(=Revelation=Celestron) and they have been a lot of fun, despite slightly wobbly focus. These can still be hand-held, but are best on a monopod or p-mount. My newer Helios Apoll 15x70 HD bins are much, much better both optically and mechanically, but that doesn't mean I have ever regretted getting the Omegons. Very decent value for money. At one stage the left "arm" of the focusing assembly broke, which I have repaired with two-component metal glue. I still keep them for the kids.

Hi Protostar,

I have a pair and they are excellent value for money. They can be a bit heavy for holding up to your eyes but you can get away with it. On a tripod the view is stunning , and example would be the orion nebula where the whole of the sword of orion fits in the field of view.

I must admit, I was thinking the same as you , that they were too cheap to be any good but I was really surprised with how good they were.

If you have any questions then just ask :laugh:

Astronymonkey

Hi Astronymonkey, Thats sounds great, I would have them on a camera tripod but its good to here that they are not impossible for quick hand held viewing:) I have know idea how they even manage to manufacture them for this price, I know they get the customer to do the QA but still! :)

Thanks

Chris

I got a pair of cheap-as-chips 15x70 Omegon(=Revelation=Celestron) and they have been a lot of fun, despite slightly wobbly focus. These can still be hand-held, but are best on a monopod or p-mount. My newer Helios Apoll 15x70 HD bins are much, much better both optically and mechanically, but that doesn't mean I have ever regretted getting the Omegons. Very decent value for money. At one stage the left "arm" of the focusing assembly broke, which I have repaired with two-component metal glue. I still keep them for the kids.

Thanks Micheal, it sounds like although they are budget they will be much better than the Visionary Classic 7x50 I bought then promptly returned after a night out with them as both the focus and the quality of the FOV was unusable for Astronomy. I think I'm likely to go for the Reveleations if the Seed that neilm has planted doen't lead me to build my own binoscope, I do enjoy a good project:D

Thanks

Chris

"maybe I could buy another second hand WO66 Apo and stick 2 of these together with a set of six diagonals to get the eyes right" Not a bad idea! E261Keith posted this link on a discussion I started about quality bins...http://www.binoscope...o.htm#binobacks

Cheers

Neil

Neil, you naughty naughty man:D you would have to show me this, this link is amazing! I might have to start doing the loto again:D seriously though I wonder how difficult it is to make your ownBinoscope? I guess the most difficult bit is making the series of diagonals to meet your eyes with the correct IO distance etc, also perhaps alligning both the scopes perfectly, building the frame to hold both the scopes looks pretty straight forward though. I'm getting thoughts of strapping 2 WO66's together and placing them on one of those single arm alt/az goto mounts for a ultra portable goto ED Binoscope! I think I might be getting carried away, just get the Rev 20x80's Chris:D

Thanks,

Chris

Archived