SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC281 "the pacman neb " in Ha

MikeD

I reeally like that one 8) The full size image shows a surprising amount of subtle detail.

I'm curious, what is causing the rings around the brighter stars? I actually like them in the same way I do spider diffraction spikes. Am just wondering?

Cheers guys. :wink:

I'm curious, what is causing the rings around the brighter stars? I actually like them in the same way I do spider diffraction spikes. Am just wondering?

I think it is down to reflections between the Ha filter and the cover slip of the CCD chip.

A suggested solution is to increase the distance between the filter and ccd but I have limited focus travel with the newt.

Another solution would be to use a 6/7nm ha filter as I have heard this is much less of a problem with the narrower Ha filter.

Mike.

I had heard that dichroic filters are prone to reflection problems because that is how they work, they reflect unwanted wavelengths rather than absorb them. I dismissed it as one of those problems that didn't matter in the real world, perhaps I was wrong. I doubt that sophisticated filters like the Ha are available in any form other than dichroic but I can at least try a set of LRGB absorptive filters.

I too wondered about the halos as this was taken with a Newt. but they didn't spoil the excellent image - such depth in there! The 'PhotoShopped' version with the halos removed is even more stunning though. I haven't tried this object yet but am inspired to do so.

With regard to the reflections from the filter, I wonder if you could place the filter in a different part of the light train - maybe just a small movement would resolve the issue?

With regard to the reflections from the filter, I wonder if you could place the filter in a different part of the light train - maybe just a small movement would resolve the issue?

I think I could, but I want to keep the Ha in the filter wheel .

At the mo I have the cam to filter wheel and filter wheel to scope all as screw fit connections and the only way I can change the distance of the Ha filter to the CCD would mean adding a noise piece to the cam and I am reluctant to do that.

But I may give it a go just to see if it helps.

Mike

Archived