Twisting and turning with my dobsonian

I'm not a dob user, but would something like this be of help: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leifheit-71310-Multi-Seat/dp/B000XQG7R6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_2/276-2120536-8661126 ? Again, if you're observing from your home's garden you might be able to set the dob up on a table of some sort. Just a couple of ideas which sprung to mind.

This is exactly the one that I have. It collapses reasonably flat-Ish for storage. And to adjust the height is a breeze.

Simon

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive found that comfort also depends on how the tube is rotated so the eyepiece is at a reasonable angle. When the tube is horizontal, looking from the front i like the eyepiece to point out from the side at about the 1 or 2 o'clock position if you get what I mean.

Astronymonkey

Having tried a friend's Dob an EQ reflector, I made a positive decision to go for refractors/Cats and Alt/Az mounts.

I am not interested in astro photography, but am interested in comfortable viewing.

I can plonk my gear down (when there is a decent break in the clouds!) and sit and view in comfort.

No back or neck ache for me thanks:-)

I'm 6'4" with a bad back and having tried various scopes at my local astro club viewing evenings I found that a Newt/EQ mount combination was the solution for me.

I have fitted an extra set of rings to stop the OTA sliding out of balance and can rotate the eyepiece into a comfotable position with no problems.

I have also seen the water butt base used with an 8" dob - great solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 6'4" with a bad back and having tried various scopes at my local astro club viewing evenings I found that a Newt/EQ mount combination was the solution for me.

I have fitted an extra set of rings to stop the OTA sliding out of balance and can rotate the eyepiece into a comfotable position with no problems.

I have also seen the water butt base used with an 8" dob - great solution.

I've got the SW 250px flextube dob and like most of the comments in this thread, found that as I'm 6' was constantly stooping to the eyepiece - and as for using the straight through finder - I nearly did myself a nasty :embarrassed: . Why they dont come with RA finders as standard I don't know (looking at the SW website it looks like they now do!). Anyway, rant over.

I started looking for a "platform" but found nothing suitable, then saw a picture of the local raft race and saw barrels being used - lightbulb moment - get a barrel and cut it down. Started looking for barrels and saw water butts - 500W PIR "security" floodlight moment - butt stand! 300mm high, 500mm diameter and designed to support 100's Kg (rain water is quite heavy!)

The base of the dob is 520 diameter (actually a bit less - had to redo setting circle strip as 5mins too long :mad: ), so it does overhang a bit, but the dips in the stand accommodate the 3 feet quite well. However, due to deep grooves on the stand top I had to cut a board to sit in the middle of the stand to stop the base/feet simply sliding across the top and risking it falling off! at about £15 for the stand (the wood was what I had languishing in the garage - in the "might come in handy one day" pile!). A couple of foam strips are currently being used to wedge around the feet to hold it tighter until I replace the wood top with one with notches cut out to closer match the feet. Works a treat - eyepiece now at comfortable height for most things and even the finder is semi-usable. Job done!

[i have a pic but don't know how to upload it - if I paste it in here I get an error message!]

Archived