Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cannon 1000D live view? :(

tingting44

hey guys to take my space pics i have my cannon 1000d connected to my SW 130p via t thread and i have to use my x2 barlow to get focus out enough, it works really well and will post some pics later, i dont think they are bad for a noob,

the thing is i keep hearing people saying the live view is good, i have just got the scope out now to test out the live view with my cannon 1000d, just tried getting a flower in focus via live view, i have it in M mode and i adjust the exposure so that the exposure is in the middle at 0.... to the lest it has got -2 (under exposed) and to the right +2 (for over exposed right?) but when it is bang in the middle at 0 the live view screen is totally black! like its turnt off? i have to crank it right up to +2 then i can see the image very well on the live view but when i take the picture its just a white screen lol where it has been WELL over exposed? :( so i adjust back to 0 screen goes blank lol cant see anything lol take picture and it comes out ok? am i missing something here with live view as its kind of frustrating me :(

edit, its like the live view is out with what the picture it will take for some reason? im hoping its something easy i am over looking :(

edit, just tested the live view and exposure off the scope with my 15-55mm lens on and the live view seems quite accurate (if its bright it takes a bright pic, if its dark it takes a dark pic) mhhh what am i missing when its on the scope lol

I use live view when I am doing solar and to ensure I have the sun framed well I turn the time up to almost "bulb" and then when I am ready for the shot I go back to whichever fractions of a second I want, the screen will go blank, that maybe help you a bit, the ISO also works in a similar way. I am sure someone will come along with a better answer :).

Jim

I get simialr issues with the 1100d, the simulated exposure is not 100% perfect especially for slower shutter speeds. I believe Backyard EOS has a smart live view that provides a better estimate of the exposure than the standard.

I usually just take a test image and look at the histogram in these circumstances, or use the camera view finder to check the light levels.

thanks sailor, how come the screen goes blank tho, and does not show correct picture for what it takes? im glad its not just me lol

edit, thanks hughschris, so i guess we crank up well over exposed so we can see image on live view, then x5 it or x10 it to make sure we got crisp focus, then back down to normal exposre where screen will be blank but we know its in focus and start snapping away right? :)

thanks guys

edit, thanks hughschris, so i guess we crank up well over exposed so we can see image on live view, then x5 it or x10 it to make sure we got crisp focus, then back down to normal exposre where screen will be blank but we know its in focus and start snapping away right?

Indeed this is what I normally do to get focus, not too much of a issue asa one off each viewing session.

tingting what exposure time are you running.

if you are running a long exposure it is going to white out. in the daytime the telescope gathers way more light than the pokey lenses we use.

i found with my canon 350D that exposure meter does not work correct and its more guess work and practice shots

hey tam hope you been good mate!! :D when i got the scope out the other day to test slr i was simply running the exposure till the exposure compensation meter was in the middle but was well out bud, same as at night i have to crank up to 20-30 secs to see anything on the live view :(

yeah im guessing my exposure meter is nackered then buddy :( i have heard from several people the same thing and only 1 person whom their exposure meter is working correctly, not a big problem just more fiddling about which im use to now :eek:

the exposure meter is sometimes, either camera body based or inside the lens.

if camera does not see the sensor, it just rough guesses.

i have read before that DSLR's sometime carry this problem with metering and the likes when using a telescope as a lens

will bust out the 114 and do some testing over the wet weekend

Myself I don't use the metering as such, I used to with film but with digital I set the camera up and take a shot and then play around with it to get the best result, bad frames are discarded without loss. The metering is fickle and can change from one second to the next, solar is an example, clouds or haze and the change in picture is dramatic.

Jim

My modded 1000d does exactly the same thing, I think it is the way live view creates an image, not an issue when in auto mode but off putting in manual/B mode. I just zoom in focus and then set exposure time in APT (LV image fades). The APT Liveview stacking seems to work well for very dark views,

My 1000d does exactly the same. I suspect its because when you attach a telescope at prime focus the camera gets no feed back as to aperture as it would from an EOS compatable lens. I just set the time I want and forget metering.

Archived