NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Explore scientific ep on ebay

What I would ask is, are those going on about getting these ep's cheaper...shopping at places like opt ? If so how much duty, tax etc do you pay to get it to england....is it worthwhile considering to shop in america?

It depends on a number of things... how much price differential there is and the exchange rate, shipping charges, factor in that you will pay duty+vat and you can't go far wrong for a realistic price. If it then works out favourable, consider your aversion to risk, as obviously it's more complicated if it arrives damaged/faulty. All my ES82s came from over the pond and in total I paid a little over half the UK pricing.

OPT, Hands-on-Optics, Highpoint Scientific... many will take your money and ship overseas :D

Another opportunity arises if you or someone you know well is travelling there...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm well happy with the price :grin: ..... and it arrives next week.

Congratulation on your new eyepieces or was that a joke ? I'm sure you will love it I have the 9mm and now thinking of getting the 20mm would love to know what you think of it ,when it arrives and the rain stops

clear skies

Nope not a joke, just been and checked dispatch and tracking on Ebay, it's on it's way :grin:.

The rain has a week to sort itself out .... off on our hols early tomorrow morning so I shall be wanting to try it out next week once we get back home ..... or should that be it's going to be clear skies in the Southwest for the next week and rain again from next Thursday?

Nope not a joke, just been and checked dispatch and tracking on Ebay, it's on it's way :grin:.

The rain has a week to sort itself out .... off on our hols early tomorrow morning so I shall be wanting to try it out next week once we get back home ..... or should that be it's going to be clear skies in the Southwest for the next week and rain again from next Thursday?

Hope you have a great holiday , are you thaking a scope with you ? or is it binoculars ? living in Devon I would say is a all year round holiday I bet you have great skies there :p

Bins are packed ... we have a 20kg limit each and most of mine is Wendy's so no scope :sad:

And as for the weather ... I did have the solar out on the weekend for a few hours then it clouded over ... cloudy/rain /lashing rain most nights if every! since I have got back from sea (did have a good night while in Cape Town with a pair of the Sub's Bins, around the southern cross is Amazing!)

Might even retire next year and [removed word] off abroad to live, just to spend time doing what I love.

It depends on a number of things... how much price differential there is and the exchange rate, shipping charges, factor in that you will pay duty+vat and you can't go far wrong for a realistic price. If it then works out favourable, consider your aversion to risk, as obviously it's more complicated if it arrives damaged/faulty. All my ES82s came from over the pond and in total I paid a little over half the UK pricing.

OPT, Hands-on-Optics, Highpoint Scientific... many will take your money and ship overseas :D

Another opportunity arises if you or someone you know well is travelling there...

Sounds good to me. I have a friend in Canada coming over soon, hopefully they are fairly cheap there too !

Wishing every one clear,clear skies, please please lol

Andy

Hi, I have just imported an Explore Scientific EP from the US. it cost £100 to buy inc postage and £28 in customs / tax. considering the EP was around £250 in the UK I'm happy :)

That's great, what was the site rob, cheers

Andy

Bins are packed ... we have a 20kg limit each and most of mine is Wendy's so no scope :sad:

And as for the weather ... I did have the solar out on the weekend for a few hours then it clouded over ... cloudy/rain /lashing rain most nights if every! since I have got back from sea (did have a good night while in Cape Town with a pair of the Sub's Bins, around the southern cross is Amazing!)

Might even retire next year and [removed word] off abroad to live, just to spend time doing what I love.

Retirement is great gave up when I was 57 ,holidays 2 years ago and loving it I just wish the weather was better here ,you have the right idea living abroad I would get a container load it up with my favouite thing and the car and go ,But I would miss my sons and grandson too much but I do have lots of holidays so not so bad the carribean was great at night ,

have a great time

So if you got a box of 20 new spc900 webcams off a car boot for a tenner, you would sell them for 50p each? I think not, I think you would put them on ebay hoping to get £50 or more each, same as the rest of us :eek::grin:

I wouldn't go to a car boot in the first place. I take your point. I don't like to be robbed and I don't rob others. I am about to sell some gear on hear shortly, it will go for sale at less than I paid and I got them cheap when you compair to UK prices and all my gear is like new.

Alan.

That's great, what was the site rob, cheers

Andy

You'll have to give me till tomorrow to let you know (I was out when they tried to deliver so I have to collect it from the post office) I may be able to update you tonight when I get home as the site is on my home PC (I'm on my work lap top now)

I used a US retailer recommeded from this very forum. I was given a link in this thread I started a few weeks ago;

Recomendations - 24mm-ish for viewing DSO's

They were having a Explore Scientific sale at the time but from what I understand they have regular sales

:smiley:

Sounds good to me. I have a friend in Canada coming over soon, hopefully they are fairly cheap there too !

I'd be surprised if there weren't Canadian dealers, failing that get them shipped from the US... though it'd be worth checking the import situation (from US to Canada), and expect to pay a few more bucks shipping.

Just go to Hands On Optics. PM them and you will get a swift answer as to stock levels. They had stock when all of the usuals where showing none. They charge $33 USPS international shipping per item.

Now, the quid pro quo is that they will give a significant shipping discount if you buy more than one EP, the issue being that the total package value may well attract customs attention. For the three ES 82 EPS that I ordered, I still ended up serious quids in.

I may also suggest that customs attention to everything, is heightened due to the Olympics, particularly if you're in the southern half of the country.Thus, the customs hit rate is higher than average. Assuming this to be so anyway, knock youself out an order as many EPs as you can, because;

1) You can never have too many EPs.

2)Yes, you may duck customs charges during next year's sale, but that will mean you miss THIS winter's observation opportunities and it may be the best ever...

3) Even if you don't like them, you can flog them on at cost and let fellow astronomers enjoy a HUGE saving over UK RRP. Hell, put £20 on for your trouble, somebody will still get a cheap EP.

4) If you don't, then your next opportunity will be just before the brightest nights of next year and look how good they turned out this year...

5) You'll be behind me stocking up on the EPs that fill in the gaps between the ones I purchased this year.

6) Etc, etc...

Russell

Archived