planetary camera HELP!

i have been doing astronomy for a while now and want to get into planetary imaging, I have a celestron nexstar6SE, many eyepeices and a 2x barlow, i have my sights set on an orion starshoot solar system imager IV. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better camera?

The Starshoot camera does have very small pixels. With the 6SE I'd be concerned that you may not get enough light on the individual pixels to get a good image unless the target is fairly bright. Jupiter might well be ok this apparition, but, for instance, you might struggle with Saturn. Ironically, a lower resolution camera may leave you with more options in that respect.

If you've seen good results from this scope/camera combination then fair enough. It's entirely possible I'm being over-cautious. There's very little else at that sort of price-point that could compete.

James

You should really consider starting off with a webcam and using that to hone your skills. While you're doing that, and if you get hooked, then you can save up for a more capable dedicated planetary imaging camera. The Imaging Source cameras get excellent reviews on here...

I have a planetary imaging camera which ought to be really good, but I sometimes see superior images to mine posted on here by people using webcams (e.g. the Phillips SPC880) which just goes to show me that it ain't what you got, it's what you do with it!

My problem with the Starshoot is that it's an unknown quantity with your scope. With the SPC900 say, you should be able to produce genuinely good results with your scope, but it'll probably cost you in the region of £70. You could buy an Xbox Live camera and mod it for around £35 in total and it should produce ok images, but not of the SPC900 standard.

I've mainly been using my 127 Mak for imaging this year and the only images I've seen from the Starshoot with a 127 Mak are, I think, poor by comparison with what I've achieved with the SPC900 and more comparable to my modded LIfecam. That's not to say that someone else couldn't do far better though.

James

You need to remove the clip, pop off the focusing ring, remove the lens and screw in a nosepiece. That's about the limit of it. Some people also disable or paint/tape over the LED above the lens.

James

You need to remove the clip, pop off the focusing ring, remove the lens and screw in a nosepiece. That's about the limit of it. Some people also disable or paint/tape over the LED above the lens.

James

This almost makes it sound more complicated than it is! Prize off the plastic lens surround and unscrew the lens. Screw in nosepiece, job done!!

The SPC900 drivers for Win7 are on the Philips website. You could also look at getting a Philips SPC800 and 'flash' upgrade it to SPC900. Basically its the same camera but the internal software is more advanced on the SPC900.

Both cameras are always popping up on eBay, but are no longer being sold by the manufacturer.

I bought a SPC800 and 'flashed' the software. It's easy to do with tutorials all over the internet. Astronomy Shed has a very good tutorial.

SharpCap runs on XP, Vista or Windows 7 and it's free. More importantly, it's blumming brilliant! http://www.sharpcap.co.uk/

You may also want to download the free 'WcCtrl - WebCam Control Utility'. Just Google it!

This works really well alongside Sharpcap and gives you much more control over the webcam.

Archived