Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2 weeks holiday in Devon , rubbish weather and no clear skies - what do we do?

Eastridge

Somewhat in response to sologuitarists request for activity here, seeing if anyone out there has bright ideas.

We bought our scope instead of holidaying abroad this year, thinking that living down here would be easy to take advantage of any decent weather during our 2 week break, which has just started.

Now find forecast shows rubbish weather - so no sun, no clean surf, no clear skies i.e. no oppotunity to do the things we enjoy.

So, what would you do with the time? where would you visit down here? to keep within remit of forum guess has to be astro / science related?

I have already made a dew shield, bought & fitted the bits we can afford in readiness for good skies ( Telrad & 32mm finder eyepiece)

We are planning to come to the NLO fest on 11 Aug - so no point going there beforehand.

FLO showrrom not looking like it will be open in time for a visit in this period.

Must be somethings in this area we haven't already done & it's just that I'm so annoyed re weather that I'm not thinking straight, so

Other than spending our time trying to find a hobby where rain and westerly winds are an advantage, any ideas?

I feel your pain as I know how hard that part of coastline can be when you are trying to find half decent surf with westerly winds.

I can't recommend much astronomy related to do but how about just making a packed lunch up and get out and walk some of the coastline? Some amazing walks up that way and some cracking winter reefs all the way from Porlock to Combe Martin.

Indeed. Many of us share your frustration. Weather-wise the last three months have quite possibly been the worst I can recall. I've been keeping an eye on the weather around Bordeaux with a view to making a last-minute dash down there for a week's camping, but actually it doesn't look that great and I'm not going to go to all that effort if we can't even be sure of being able to sit out by a swimming pool or on the beach.

Looks like the weather may lift a little over the next few days though weather that means clear skies or just no rain is anyone's guess. After that though the forecast is for a massive increase in the power of the jet stream covering all of France and I'd not be surprised if we were back to the same again :(

James

If you want to know what is coming our way weather-wise this site is really good, it shows cloud and rain depending on which map you look at.

http://carnkieweathe...age=chart-radar

Today looks OK, and tonight does not look too bad either if you look at where the weather is coming from. I find it quite useful for many differing reasons.

Somewhat in response to sologuitarists request for activity here, seeing if anyone out there has bright ideas.

We bought our scope instead of holidaying abroad this year, thinking that living down here would be easy to take advantage of any decent weather during our 2 week break, which has just started.

Now find forecast shows rubbish weather - so no sun, no clean surf, no clear skies i.e. no oppotunity to do the things we enjoy.

So, what would you do with the time? where would you visit down here? to keep within remit of forum guess has to be astro / science related?

I have already made a dew shield, bought & fitted the bits we can afford in readiness for good skies ( Telrad & 32mm finder eyepiece)

We are planning to come to the NLO fest on 11 Aug - so no point going there beforehand.

FLO showrrom not looking like it will be open in time for a visit in this period.

Must be somethings in this area we haven't already done & it's just that I'm so annoyed re weather that I'm not thinking straight, so

Other than spending our time trying to find a hobby where rain and westerly winds are an advantage, any ideas?

Hey thanks for that, I am glad someone read it a took notice !! :smiley: :smiley:

Indeed. Many of us share your frustration. Weather-wise the last three months have quite possibly been the worst I can recall. I've been keeping an eye on the weather around Bordeaux with a view to making a last-minute dash down there for a week's camping, but actually it doesn't look that great and I'm not going to go to all that effort if we can't even be sure of being able to sit out by a swimming pool or on the beach.

Looks like the weather may lift a little over the next few days though weather that means clear skies or just no rain is anyone's guess. After that though the forecast is for a massive increase in the power of the jet stream covering all of France and I'd not be surprised if we were back to the same again :(

James

See link above James - weather in that par of France doesn't look to bad for the next few days (though don't hold me responsible if it suddenly changes)

See link above James - weather in that par of France doesn't look to bad for the next few days (though don't hold me responsible if it suddenly changes)

Yes, the jet stream seems to have broken down for a few days, but if you push the forecast out to a week or so it all starts to look rather ugly again :(

James

Thanks for the site Richard - looks more detailed than the BBC / Weather Channel sites I currently use, great.

Have got over yesterday's emotional slump a bit, am going to look at hiring a stand up paddleboard to try that out as for a beginner wave quality won't matter. And as Mike says there's always coastal walks.

On the astro front BBC site is predicting some clearness here Weds night so will keep an eye on that. May have to resort to making up an Eyepice Case, but had been waiting on Maplin's doing one of their special offers on their foam filled flight case.

Thanks everyone

Yes, me too, I see the price is back at £32 at the moment. I got two last time and think I will probably get two more when the price comes down. Enjoy the rest of your holiday. As Mike says, forget the night sky and go enjoy the countryside and coast line - wonderful place Devon - enjoy.

Archived