Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Birch Plywood

LukeSuppalot

Hi all.

I'm trying to find a supplier of a good quality Birch plywood in the Cornwall/ SW Devon area for a travel dob project I'm currently working on. I've tried most of the Builders Merchants (Jewson, Bradfords, Travis-Perkins etc) but with no luck. They all supply the thickness of ply I'm after (9mm) but can't supply the quality.

I'm looking for 9mm solid Birch Plywood (7 ply) with B/BB finished faces.

Any suggestions anyone?

Luke

Luke I take it you have tried Bonds at Trulefoot (sp?)?

If you are going to ring any boat builders then give Mashfords at Cremyll a ring. Probably the best traditional boat builders still going and I know they only use top grade materials. They were building a Cornish gig in there a while ago, real craftsmanship and I was lucky enough to watch it progress from the keel up.

ps. I was half tempted to try Narkurs tonight....

Robbins at Bristol are a valuable source.

Bookmarked just in case. Cheers John.

Luke I take it you have tried Bonds at Trulefoot (sp?)?

If you are going to ring any boat builders then give Mashfords at Cremyll a ring. Probably the best traditional boat builders still going and I know they only use top grade materials. They were building a Cornish gig in there a while ago, real craftsmanship and I was lucky enough to watch it progress from the keel up.

ps. I was half tempted to try Narkurs tonight....

Yes I have tried Bonds but they only stock lesser grades or marine ply which is too heavy for this project.

As far as Narkurs goes, I've been looking out of the window for the last hour thinking I might be able to get out. Suffering terrible withdrawl symptoms from lack of gazing which has only been eased by buying bits for ongoing and forthcoming projects. Could do with getting out for an hour or two. Sky is looking clear at the mo so I might venture out on the offchance I might get to see something so that I could try the Lazy Susan out. There were sheep grazing last week so boots and a torch would be needed.

Latest on the weather, the wind has picked up a fair bit and a few clouds are appearing. Looks like the back garden it is then.

Update on the ply situation.

Rang a couple of local boatbuilders this morning and one of them suggested I contact the owner (Kevin) of Richards Builders Merchants in Doublebois. He explained that they don't stock Birch ply but he could source a sheet for me and have it sent down with his next delivery. It should be here Thursday. :grin:

Only thing is that in my excitement I forgot to ask how much it is. Doh!

Hooray! The ply has arrived. Had it cut into managable sizes by one of the guys at Richards and safely loaded into my van.

Total cost including cutting and VAT £34.00. Bargain. :grin: :grin: :grin:

All I need now is a break in the liquid sunshine so I can start cutting and routing etc.

Archived