eyepiece set

hi guys/gals

was my birthday a few weeks ago so as i had some spare cash i got hold of a 200mm flextube goto dob [second hand but prisitine condition ] . Anyhoo my son and daughter have just handed me a eyepiece set they bought me from scopesnskies here http://www.scopesnsk...essory-kit.html as a little extra surprise . my question is it seems like a nice kit [the filters may/may not be useful ] the torch is ok .however all the eyepieces are marked astro revelation, the 12mm and 15mm are supposed to be GSO according to the add so are they the same as revelation ?and the 20 and 32 are meant to be skywatchers again are they the same as revelation ep's [the 32mm one seems to be the revalation t camera one [with the sliding focus and removable eyepiece ] they look nice and as i only have the 7-21 zoom skywatcher and the original 25 mm ep would imagine they may be a bit better .so has anyone used these ep's b4 ?

ps the box is also a revelation aliminium box

Happy birthday dtr42 hope you had a good day. Sounds like you have been given the Revelation EP set (made by GSO I blieve, a very good company) and although they are far from the best, they are far from the worst as well and will give you a good range of EP's to test out you 200mm flextube dob. You may well find in the future that you want something a bit better but get to know the ones you have first and don't get sucked into the 'I must have the best' syndrome. It is OK if you can afford it, but most beginners probably wouldn't notice the difference and good EP are expensive. Enjoy what you have. :smiley:

I have used the Celestron version of the same set, also made by GSO, the 32mm is a stunning ep as many will attest to on this forum, and the others are fine except in the high magnification area, where short eye-relief becomes uncomfortable, but a great set to start with. I don't like using colour filters, so mine did not get much use, I also found the Moon filter had a colour bias (green), but I prefer the neutral density filter (an ND96 (0.9)). So that's my experience, and I still have the set, though I have bought quite a few ep's since.

Agree with Richard, see what you use most and then upgrade on one eyepiece at a time as the budget will allow. Joining a local observing club/group can be very useful in this instance as it might be possible to have a brief try of the eyepieces they are using to see what best suits your scope. Unfortunately, an increase in price of a 'better' eyepiece does not always translate into an equal increase in its performance but some feel tat the extra gained is still worth it - its down to personal preference. The most obvious difference that would notice is the field of view. Certain targets like the double cluster benefit greatly by using an eyepiece that can show you the whole wide view whereas targets such as planets being smaller are more in need of an eyepiece that can yield precise contrast levels to enable you to pick out the finer details.

I'm sure these new eyepieces will keep you busy for sometime to come but joining a group of fellow observers will certainly help you with any future plans! :smiley:

James

thanks guys.

thought these would be better than what i have so will be ok to start with [will try the filters if we ever see clear skies again ]i am planning to join the ASG [astronomical society glasgow] in the next few weeks after the holibags so will hopefully get to some of their outings and get some advice

cheers

dtr42 [aka dave]

I bought myself the Revelation kit some time back. It was a decent step up from the eyepieces shipped with the scope and (I think) well worth the money despite the fact that I don't use the filters. I've started replacing them now, but the 32mm eyepiece is still probably my most-used. The 2x barlow is also pretty decent and I still use that for imaging.I think they're a great way to experiment a bit more at relatively little expense.

James

I have heard good things about these sets, they should be a step up from supplied eyepieces. Never tried any of the mentioned ep's, but would be very happy with a great gift. I believe GSO to be a good usable eyepiece in the price range, going by reviews I have read. Good luck with your new ep's and Happy Birthday.

I have GSO Revelations in my plossl collection and I've been very pleased with them. Although I couldn't afford to buy a set straight away, I did build up a set (including a few Meade 4000s too) and it served me very well, giving great views of a wide range of targets. £30 buys a nice plossl eyepiece!

After a year or so I started to upgrade the EPs I used most and chose the Baader Hyperion range for their wider field of view & modular design.

But, I'm keeping my plossls too :)

I have GSO Revelations in my plossl collection and I've been very pleased with them. Although I couldn't afford to buy a set straight away, I did build up a set (including a few Meade 4000s too) and it served me very well, giving great views of a wide range of targets. £30 buys a nice plossl eyepiece!

After a year or so I started to upgrade the EPs I used most and chose the Baader Hyperion range for their wider field of view & modular design.

But, I'm keeping my plossls too :)

I bought BST Explorers and am happy with them, but am now also on the upgrade to Hyperions.

in addition to your zoom you have a great set of very useful eyepieces and a good quality storage case for them all too. I agree the colour filters are not to my tastes but many use them and like them the moon filter might be more useful.

top pressie!

Archived