Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Does anybody know this zoom EP?

I was looking for zoom EPs, partly for the solar scope, but also for a lightweight travel set up. As I wear glasses, and have previously sold EPs with 15mm eye relief or less, I was impressed by the eye relief of this one:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p1933_Flatfield-Zoom-7-5mm-bis-22mm---1-25----8elementig.html

Does anybody know this one?

Regarding the Seben, I have reservations about the manufacturer. I have seen quite a few dud (to dismal) Seben products, though there are good reports about the 8-24, and your experiences tell a different story. My worry is that the quality will vary, due to insufficient quality control. I am now also looking at the Vixen NLV 8-24 zoom, and the William's Optics 8-24mm

Regarding the Seben, I have reservations about the manufacturer. I have seen quite a few dud (to dismal) Seben products, though there are good reports about the 8-24, and your experiences tell a different story. My worry is that the quality will vary, due to insufficient quality control. I am now also looking at the Vixen NLV 8-24 zoom, and the William's Optics 8-24mm

Some of their products leave a bit to be desired, but this zoom is collecting good reports fast (I have had mine for 2 or 3 years)

Some of their products leave a bit to be desired, but this zoom is collecting good reports fast (I have had mine for 2 or 3 years)

Fair enough. I have now made a serious mistake by looking at a Zeiss 6.7-25.1 zoom. It has 16mm eye relief, which is just enough, larger range, and reasonable FOV (68 - 46deg). Very nice on the eyes no doubt, but not on the wallet ;)

Looks to me like one of the SW range, I have seen it somewhere before, I just can't put my finger on it. Michael, get the Zeiss you know you want to.

Alan.

I think I will skip that for now. It is a lot of money. There is a nice WO 8-24mm zoom which is way cheaper. I think I will drop in on a supplier when next I am in the Hague, and compare it to a Robtics-labelled 7.5-22.5mm in my 80mm APO. If both seem to perform equally I will ge the cheaper of the two and (maybe) save up for the Zeiss.

Archived