Buying 2nd hand?

I'm in the process of buying a second hand skywatcher 8 inch Dob from a fellow who had posted on the Canadian Astrobuysell site. From the images he has posted it looks to be in good condition. I'm going to take a look at it in a day or so. Are there any tips or pointers on things I should look for when buy a used scope?

Thanks,

I would make sure the mirrors are in good condition first--dusty is OK, but scraped up isn't. Make sure that the mirror coatings are nice and solid. Then make sure the focuser moves smoothly and the dob bearings work smoothly.

That's about it. Dobs are simple. Anything else can be fixed by tinkering a bit.

I bought a brand new Skywatcher Skyliner 200P and the movement was pretty poor. Lots of stiction, mainly in the azimuth. Quite disappointing at first and i was going to send it back. But someone at my local club convinced me to stick with it and he would help improve it. It was very cheap to fix the movenment with some teflon pads and a ring of Ebonystar. So i wouldn't worry too much about the movement because unless its been tinkered with it will most likely feel a bit sticky anyway.

Its the mirror coatings on a secondhand model that need checking. Make sure they are not tarnished, scratched or spotted. It's quite pricey to have them re-coated.

I'd also pick it up, see if it is manageable (remember you could be setting up in the dark).

My Meade Lightbridge is quite heavy so I built a second stand to rest the OTA on while I set up the base mount.

As others have said the main thing is to check the mirrors for cracks,dents,scratches,erosion of the coating (black spots etc that are not just dust). If you see any and are unsure of the affect on performance then walk away.

Another thing to check before commiting to buy is check the price of a new scope of the same model online and if the one for sale is in "almost as new" condition then expect to pay about 2/3rds of the retail price. But see how much he is asking first. If the scope is older then 4-5 yrs....................then only pay about 1/2 the retail value.

Can you post the images here that he sent you? It will help in deciding if its a good buy or not.

Paul

The picture includes a useful right angled finder but does not mention it in the description - I would make sure that is included in the price because along with the red dot finder, represents a useful finder combo that will make locating your targets really easy. Given the extras I think the the asking price being 72% of the original is pretty fair. As said above, if the mirror is unmarked I think you might have a decent purchase there.

Don't forget to update us on how it works out!

James

Well, I went and looked at the scope. The fellow was there waiting for me with the scope ready for display and the original packaging that it was purchased in! I could tell that the scope was well looked after. I took off the front cover, peered down the tube and had a look at the primary, and it was spotless(save a few specks of dust)! The scope even smelled new. I turned the focus knobs and it felt smooth but stable. The Dob mount did feel a little stiff but stable, was hard to tell since he had it on hardwood and it kept sliding. Every thing looked good and I was getting a little excited!

So the transaction was made, I put the scope back in its box and put and into the back seat of my car. Now I have it here next to me, just waiting and hoping for a clear weekend!

Oh, the right angle finder scope was indeed included and I got the whole lot for $250. I'm very happy with my purchases.

Thanks for your help, this should be a nice jump from my little 70mm refractor. I'm off to dream of clear sky's.

If it's the one with the motored mount then also check the power jack connection. I bought mine brand new and have had a consistent loose connection with power in jack on the mount. Damned annoying.

Archived