Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

f6.3 focal

I have only used my f6.3 focal reducer on my C8 to create a wider field for when visually framing views of larger objects such as some open clusters, M31 and M81/M82 etc, for this it is quite effective. I have read accounts from some visual users that it also appears to make stars a bit brighter, although I haven't used mine enough to personally comment on this.

The focal reducers, as their name suggests, reduce the effective focal length of the scope so enable a wider field of view to be seen. As they add glass to the system (3 elements I think) they might have a slight reduction in light throughput although the ones I've used are very well coated so I've not noticed this. I don't think they could actually increase light throughput for visual use though.

I have one of these for my LX 200 and I was one of the brain dead that thought you could put it on slam in a 40mm eyepiece with wide field and see behind me. Wrong.

For imaging they reduce the amount of exposure that you require in the case of F 6.3 from F 10 I would say by about a third to a half. I am sure imaging experts will jump in and give you the correct info.

I got mine for visual and they cannot make the stars brigther as the F/R has 3 lens elements so there is a reduction in brightness. What will occur is a wider field with less magnification for any given eyepiece as the F/L goes down. I think it is because it gives a slightly tighter field of view and sharper stars. Your limit of eyepiece is 28mm 2 inch without vignetting.

The other thing they are good at is sealing the optic tube in the case of SC scopes, stops dust fairly well.

Alan.

Dunster,

No idea what so ever, 28mm gives a faction over 1 degree. I tried it with a 30mm UWA but it vignetts, so to a 32mm S Plossl with a 60 degree FOV. They say you can only use 27mm, but I can't see any vignetting with 28mm.

I want to try my 24mm UWA when I get it from Enland to see if that is OK. I would then like to try a 26mm Nagler, this would give i.i degrees, but to the very best of my knowledge there isn't one in Bulgaria.

I will have to buy one to try that.

Alan.

I don't think the F/6.3 focal reducers were designed to be used with long focal length 2" format eyepieces - thats when you seem to get the vignetting issues. For visual they seem to work better with 1.24" eyepieces in a 1.25" diagonal.

When I had a C8 I used a 2" 40mm eyepiece with a 70 degree field of view to get my widest views. No focal reducer involved.

John, maybe you are right, but this is what I have found possible. I bought it with the idea of getting a 70 degree field and a magnification of around 50 on my LX 200. I was of course woefully wrong, this is what I mean when I say I have no one to talk to in a shop. Now of course I have all of you members on the forum, never occured to me to join before. When you are new to a hobby you make mistakes, this one was my only mistake so far.

Alan.

Archived