Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Ottawa, Canada

icrusoe

Hi and welcome.

Hope the weather in Canada is better for observing than the lousy weather we are experiencing here in the UK! We have had wall to wall cloud and rain interspersed with showers for the past month or so!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Jacobvonchorus: Nice to see local faces...err presence on here! :) I have been looking at DSLR's but have started to shy away from them as I don't want to purchase a flattener/reducer for another $300. I figured spend $500 on purpose built hardware. You do bring up a great point in regards to resolution of the sensor. Is there a reason that imaging cameras are such ridiculously low resolution? When I see 640x480 I start to think 1993 has happened all over again - what's the deal with that?

@todd8137: I was looking at getting http://focusscientif...products_id/672 as a guide scope package. And http://focusscientif...products_id/649 as my imaging camera. What are your thoughts?

@alben: the weather has been great, sunny and 30+ C almost everyday. Seeing and transparency have been hurt due to the high humidity climate we have here in eastern ontario. It seems to average to about 2-3 "good" seeing nights a week. So I think we've got it pretty good compared to the UK.

There are CCDs that have the higher resolution. For example, those using the KAF-8300 sensor (8.3 megapixels). I use my APS-C dslr with my ED80 and while field curvature is noticable, it is only a problem at the edges which can just be cropped off. The reason that field curvature won't be noticed with the CCD you listed is because the sensor is too small to reach the region of the focal plane that will be curved out of focus.

About the weather... It is often sunny, and often very clear during the day but it always seems to just cloud up to the point where astrophotography is pointless at night. If it is clear, then either the seeing, the transparency, or both will be horrible. If all of those factors are good, and there is no moon (a rare combination), it will be very cold (-20C) or the dew will be too heavy to deal. Still, we are lucky here in eastern Ontario to have a continental climate and there are always a good number of nice nights each month (even if they are near the full moon). Plus, it is easy to escape east to a dark site on the shield. "Nirvana" for example. For example, tonight: clear sky, good transparency, terrible seeing.

The orion starshoot autoguider you have listed there is excellant. I bought all of my guiding equipment separately but my setup is almost identical to (my dovetail bar is longer, that is the only difference): http://focusscientif...products_id/671

The difference from the other autoguidng package you listed is this guidescope is much larger making guiding more accurate.

Jacob von Chorus

@jacobvonchorus: just seeing if I understand this correctly, the field curvature is created by the lenses in the scope, not the imaging hardware, correct?

What mount are you using, does it deal well with the larger guide scope?

Thanks all for the welcomes! Indeed nice to see more people from Canadia! :p

Archived