NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saw the "X" on the Moon

Forgive me if i'm being dumb, what and where abouts is the 'x' on the moon?

D.C

Nothing dumb about that question. I have done a fair amount of observing and reading about the moon and I have no clue about what the "x" is. Please do tell??

For those wishing to get a general idea of where it is you can view these images here to get you started although the X is visible only for a few hours before the first quarter. For anyone who is interested in viewing more lunar details (given that clear skies are often accompanied by the presence of a decent phase of the moon) you might want to consider this PDF list I found on the Highlands Astronomical Society website which details a further 100 interesting lunar features which some of you might like to explore. The moon is a genuinely interesting and often overlooked object which is a shame given that it can be viewed all year round and from the most light polluted of areas. Given our recent drought of clear skies due to the weather, lunar observing presents an interesting project to help us keep 'focused' on astronomy during this time.

James

Archived