Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ6 Rebuilt but nothing moves.. :(

papamidnight

I recently purchased an EQ6 that is about 11 years old. I rebuilt it using the astrobaby guide with superlube and everything went back together in good clean order. I tested it using the original motors and controller and the motors spin but the mount is not moving in either axis-at all. I took off the axis locks for testing so it isn't binding there. I can turn both axis by hand with what I am assuming is around 5lbs of force. I can see the gear shaft turning for both axis when I remove the bearing cover plates so I am a bit stumped. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Oh, thank you... I was thinking these locked the axis and prevented movement. This is my first mount -not that you couldn't tell :)

I installed them and engaged them and unfortunantly it still isn't moving under the motors-though the motors do appear to be moving the worm drives for both axis. Any other ideas?

Best,

~S

Hi, What EQ6 is it? If it is a black coloured one with a control box with four square buttons then you will not visually see it moving as the movement is only 15 times siderial rate at max.

Try placing a telescope on it and align with a visual feature during the day, ie a pylon or tree and test it for movement.

Hi John,

It is the black one with the control box you mention. I will check it out as you recommend-Thank you.

I was expecting to see some motion at 16x. I have the synscan upgrade kit but wanted to test the re-lube with the old motors in case something went wrong.

Best,

~S

Even at 16X without looking through a 'scope you would be unlikely to discern any movement. Also remember when using the -RA button you will get no movement as this simply stops the mount when running at sidereal rate. I have the same mount (it was my first one too) and when I got it in 2004, I thought the same as you!

Under the locking clutches should be a small brass pad. This is very small and has a tendency to fall out. Without this pad, the clutches won't lock on. I've had this happen to me when stripping a mount.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Thanks all, excellent advice!

I went ahead and hooked up the goto and since one of the clutch pads was missing I made one from a brass air line stopper plug modeling it after the pad I did have; it came out nearly perfect and seems to work fine. Good news is the mount seems to be moving perfectly. It makes almost zero noise except for the high pitch servos. Bad news is I didn't realize the old spacer washers inside were made of an inferior plastic and so prone to breaking down, since mine looked OK I reused them. I'm going to take it back apart today and use new delrin spacers and then enjoy it tonight since we finally have some clear skies. Hopefully my old 10" LX50 and orion shorty guide scope will ride on top without a problem :)

Archived