E-E.L.T.

Hi all,

Just read up about the E-ELT (european extra large Telescope) and just think WOW, This is supposed to be able to view new planets from other solar systems and provide more data than most large telescopes put together. But at £8 billion will my aperture fever be cured if I can see my bank manager and explain its for medical reasons.

More about the E-ELT can be found here.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-06/13/extremely-large-telescope

Kev.

WOW......................

Just check out the size of the mirror compared to what look like vehicles in the artists impression.

It all sounds uuber exciting...............actually observing exo-planets in "real time" from a ground-based scope.

I dont like the name thought. It should be called the E-XLT.

Makes my order for my 250pds seem rather insignificant. But at 40 meters across and my garden is about 8 meters across x 15 meters long I may have to have a word with the neighbours,

Has it got to go in an observatory or will it fit on my NEQ6 ?

Kev.

Kev,You don`t need a scope of that aperture to see your bank manager surely :D joking aside, it was not long ago that the Mount Palomar 200" was regarded in awe, now look we are up to 1532" should be an amazing scope, wonder if they are going to use TelVue EP`s and a Powermate ? :)

John.

I wonder where the money is coming from - haven't they just effectively moth-balled the VLT for lack of funds?

I'm not sure where you got that from, but I can assure you that the VLT is very far from being moth-balled! It's still very much in full time operation, and has a stream of new instruments in development/planned. In fact, the UK is about to deliver a new spectrograph (KMOS) to the VLT later this year.

The E-ELT programme is in addition to all the other ESO programmes (VLT, La Silla, ALMA). It does need some extra funding from the existing partners (which looks like it should be forthcoming), and the funds which will come from Brazil joining the organisation. The funding/spend profile is pretty carefully calculated so that ESO can continue to fully exploit VLT (and VLTI) whilst building/operating the E-ELT.

Archived