Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help me make a decision

olander08

As it turns out, I'm thinking of scrapping my original plan of purchasing the 8mm, 18mm and 25mm BST Explorers and getting a few Explore Scientific 100 degree FOV EPs.

My budget is flexible to some extent and should be able to stretch far enough, but since it's quite a lot of money for a student, I could use some help in making my decision.

My setup is as described in my signature, so the eyepieces would be for use with it. If that's a bad idea, stop reading now and tell me quickly. Otherwize, continue reading.

Since my relatived will be leaving for the US this weekend, it's a big chance for me to aquire the Explore Scientific's at a very acceptable cost. Therefor, I'm wondering how many I should get, basically. If I got the 9 and 14mm, would I ever find any use for the 32mm PanaView I've got comming? At only three times the price of the PanaView, I could get the 20mm Explore Scientific, which I would assume is better. If I decided to get the entire set, would I need any longer focal length EP or could I stay happy for a longer period of time (until I could afford another expensive EP, which I do not at the moment)?

I'm sorry if my thoughts are so diffuse and hard to interpret, but I'm basically looking for the best combination and since the PanaView is only 72 degrees FOV, I would doubt that it would give the impression that it's meant to give when you have a 20mm with 100 degrees FOV.

So, from what I can assert, these are my options (do let me know if you know of a better combination):

Explore Scientific 9mm, 14mm, 20mm

Explore Scientific 9mm, 14mm, PanaView 32mm

Explore Scientific 14mm, 20mm, without the PanaView 32mm

Explore Scientific 14mm, 20mm, with the PanaView 32mm

Since I would be purchasing the EPs at their US retail price (9mm - $249, 14mm - $299, 20mm - $399), I expect that the S/H value in europe would be at least as high as the retail price in the US, which is what really makes it a no brainer to atleast get two.

I really appreciate quick feedback on this!

I personally would go with the 20,14 & 9mm and scrub the Panaview. The Panaview will only show a small amount more sky, 2.3° vs 2° of the ES20mm, but the increase in contrast will be massive. If cost is an issue, a 30mm SW Aero would be a better option than the Panaview with your f5 scope.

I already have the ES 9mm 100 degree fov which is a superb eyepiece and i would recomend it to anyone.The 9,14,20 would give you lots of options.Dont overlook the 35mm panoptic i picked one up second hand and it is a superb eyepiece.

While you're at it, how about getting one of the shorter FL 82 degree EPs too? My "logic" is that even the 9mm is only 111x (assuming 1000mm FL of 200p), and if you're into planetary or clusters at all you could probably use a little more magnification, unless you already have a Powermate or other excellent 2-inch barlow... maybe the 6.7mm and/or 4.7mm? At $99 each it's hard to go far wrong, but it's a tough call... many prefer to use orthos at such magnifications... and Powermates are cheaper over there too!

ES are also supposed to be making a 5.5mm 100 degree but I'm not convinced it's arrived at any retailers yet :(

I found about four interesting websites that sell the EPs that I'm after at the same price. How likely is it that I'll be able to get a special discount for buying so many EPs at once? Is it rude to ask?

In American retail? Absolutely not! It's almost rude not to :D

But also double check that they have stock for immediate shipping of the models you want to the address you need them to go to. The current sale prices have caused stock levels to be a little erratic - I've got my eye on another ES come pay day!

Also note that some of the retailers don't like shipping to an address that isn't the billing address, some don't like foreign credit cards, whereas others deal with overseas sales all the time and even take PayPal. I've dealt with both Handonoptics.com and OPT (optcorp.com) and received excellent service. Just bear in mind that rapid (3 day air delivery or quicker) is relatively expensive over there and factor it in to your spend or negotiation accordingly.

Ok, so I've placed an order for the ES 20, 14 and 9mm along with an 82 degree 4.7mm. However, the 4.7mm is out of stock, but should get restocked in time for the package to arrive before my relatives leave USA. But, I could check and see if they have the 6.7mm in stock ready to be shipped now. What do you guys think, would the 4.7mm be a better choice rather than the 6.7 considering the 100 degree 9mm?

I'd check with the retailer for an ETA. Worst-case scenario, if they don't expect to get restocked in time, get them to send the remaining one out by international mail... if the import duty/tax situation for Sweden is similar to the UK, you will still save good money. I'd guess that both 4.7 and 6.7 would be useful magnifications (213x and 149x), so why not get them to ship whichever they've got and then airmail the other? :D Just make sure they invoice separately.

Congrats on your order, btw, those 100s should give you a great FOV in your 200p :cool:

I'd check with the retailer for an ETA. Worst-case scenario, if they don't expect to get restocked in time, get them to send the remaining one out by international mail... if the import duty/tax situation for Sweden is similar to the UK, you will still save good money. I'd guess that both 4.7 and 6.7 would be useful magnifications (213x and 149x), so why not get them to ship whichever they've got and then airmail the other? :D Just make sure they invoice separately.

Congrats on your order, btw, those 100s should give you a great FOV in your 200p :cool:

Unfortunately, they didn't have the 6.7mm in stock either. But in any case, the three 100 degree eyepieces are waiting in the fedex vehicle at the moment. So far, so good :D

Some day I might have the full set, some day I might sell one or several of the ones I've just ordered (for not needing all of them). I just don't know what the experience will be like, having only observed with the standard 10mm and 25mm EPs that comes with the 200p in what would be described as "darker" twilight around three times (basically only seeing the stars that are part of some asterism) and a few more in "real" twilight. The weather in Sweden (disregarding the last two weeks) have been amazing, but the darkness absent. I can't wait to actually pay attention to the sky when it's truly dark (mag 6 or higher), which won't happen for at least another (estimated) couple of months.

I've barely been at this a year but get the feeling EPs are like shoes... some just feel right and last for years, others lack that little something and get cast aside. My first EP upgrade was a BST explorer and I was knocked for six. It was/is so comfortable to use and just had a certain clarity the bundled EP didn't. I still use it with the 6SE, I'll probably keep it for my observing life!

The UK has had a bad few months weather... what with that and the twilight, I'm sure looking forward to August :cool:

Archived