Skywatcher equinox pro fpl 120

Hi Folks.

As a relative newcomer to this site, i am seeking advice from you people in the know. I have only been looking to the heavens for 2 years now. My first scope was a skymax 127, i currently have an LX90 8" ACF. I am now considering where to go from here. I am in 2 minds, a larger schmidt or a decent sized refractor. The ExuinoxPro fpl 120 has caught my eye. I understand it,s a good scope for Photography, which i have made a slow start with. the question i want to ask is, which would be better for viewing? any suggestions? or even another refractor with decent mount that would be good for viewing & photography on a budget of about £2200.

Peter, welcome to SGL, i hope you enjoy this little forum, you have posted in the wrong section so to help with your question i will take the liberty of moving this to the scopes help section

I use the Equinox 120 on a HEQ5 and think this combination is brilliant. Well within your budget although are you considering a camera in this? I am not really sure what is better about the Equinox over the Evostar Pro 120 which would save you nearly £300. The focusers are not brialliant with heavy DSLRs but can be upgraded at extra cost. Although for me the focuser is currently sufficient. I don't think the views would compare to your 8" on feinter objects but I have had some excellent views of the planets at high powers with no noticable fringing. I think for the price this scope is a brilliant all rounder.

Thanks Nebula. I already have a canon 1100d. Have taken some pictures through my Meade,some not bad, but some not so good. I have been seriously considering a c11 on a half decent mount, so my dilema is, viewing or imaging, my current budget won,t allow both. Nor will my wife. lol

Thats sound advice from Peter, the 120mm ED refractors seem to be considered close to the all round scope but the 120 wont be so good at imaging due to its longish focal length, one option would be a decent mount, a small apo and a 200mm reflector for the mount

For imaging with Equinox 120ED you'll need to go for an EQ6 mount or better. The F7.5 is fairly slow an the 900mm fl means mount and tracking have to be spot on to get the most from the excelent optics. So you need to allow for the weight of both camera and giude scope when thinking about mounts for the 120ED. Certainly invest in the SW 0.85 focal reducer if you go with this scope as it brings you down to a more manageable f6.3

Rosestte Nebula, Equinox 120 + 0.85 focal reducer, single unguided 120s sub.

DSCF3270_PR0CESS2.jpg

Have you thought of buying a mount that will take your Meade 8 inch and use that for photography, the optics are very good. I have the LX 200 12 inch and am trying to do the same, but the weight is more and so to the cost. I think the EQ 6 would do the job, sweettalk the better half and then get the APO scope later. I am lucky my wife cannot add up!

Alan from a very hot (38 deg) Bulgaria.

Archived