NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planetary eyepieces.

I have a Skywatcher Skymax 127.I am using Japanese Circle T orthoscopic eyepieces ,4 ,6 ,7 ,9 & 12.5MM.The 12.5 & the 9mm both give reasonably bright and contrasty views.The other sizes don't work well with this telescope.They would need a bigger scope.I want to know that if I were to look for an 8mm planetary eyepiece,which manufacturer would be an improvement over the Circle T?

I would welcome people's views.

Thanks,

Martin.

I've moved this thread to the Eyepieces Discussion section Martin as it will get more response here :smiley:

As for a good sharp 8mm eyepiece, the Tele Vue 8mm plossl might be worth considering. I had superb views of Saturn with one a few years back when I had a Celestron C8.

The 7mm ortho produces 214x magnification on your 127. It's close to the danger zone where the seeing will start to limit resolution. I think this may be a case of too much magnification rather than optical limitation.

For outstanding performance at about 8mm I would recommend the Pentax XF 8.5mm. It is the best planetary EP I have ever had (better than the Radian 8mm), and at 159 euro a great deal cheaper than the Radian (though BGOs are a lot cheaper still). It give ortho-like performance over a 60 deg FOV at a very comfortable eye relief. It is also nice and light. Real winner.

Archived