Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help on QHY5 first time use

I would keep trying. I had the same problem and thought the camera was duff but it wasn't. You need to keep fiddling with the settings. Remember to click on the "loop" button to start seeing images! The stars will also be quite faint but try on Vega first.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks -that is what i thought . after fiddling now for two nights with most of the gain settings and tnow time settings this is the ponly thing that comes on the screen . even in the vid software that was supplied there is nothing to see.

i have added a second barlow to see if that would give more back focus but still nothing else on screen.

any last thoughts or suggestions are very apprevcaited.

2.30 nam so time to pack it in for now i think

cheers for the support tonight/

Mark

post-17993-0-76282000-1339978861_thumb.j

What I do is put the camera gain to 90% then start PHD capturing at its lowest time interval 0.05s the slider between the time and brain icons to half way, it takes far too long to try focusing if you have to wait 3 seconds for the screen to update after every little adjustment.

Once set up start to focus from fully out and wind in a little bit at a time, you should see something very quickly with the camera updating every 1/2 second as Vega is very bright, I would say that focus is within one inch-ish of fully extended.

hi Danielle, looks like you were up later than i last night.

i had the gain up around 90 and did try some of the shorter time periods but the screen did nto change in any way from the one i posted, and that was looking up towards vega. perhaps i will give it one further try tonight but i dont think there were many combinations i didnt try yesterday.

hi Mall, i saw your posting on the QYHCCD forum, you mentioned on there that you had figured out the settings. would you be able to pass those settings on so i can check ? i will reinstall all the drivers etc this evening to see if that makes a diff otherwise its going back

Cheers - mark

Maybe you can try it during daylight and point it at a distant object to see what you get, but for daytime you need to keep the front cover on the st80 with the little inner bit removed, you might even have to turn the gain right down to below 10 or the image could be saturated.

thanks again all. Danielle i will try the setting and thanks Roger for the photo - that will also be tried/ then if nothjing its back to the shop tomorrow for a change out, but perhaps i may add a couple of hundred quid and exchange for an Atik Titan

many thanks to everyone who helped. no luck last night so it was off to the Store to exchange, they tested it in house and aslo found the same issue. in fact we tried a couple and all had something not quite right. Now sat here with a Starlight Xpress CoStar instead. and of course the clouds have rolled in so no way to try it out.

Clear skies to all

Mark

Archived