Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Crackington Haven

sologuitarist61

About twenty miles south of the Hartland Point (see other thread) this sight (Crackington Haven) registers at 6.27 on the Need-Less dark sky simulator and is one of the darkest sites in Cornwall, so might well be of interest to the people in Cornwall (not to far from Devon either), and it is darker than the Colliford sight which is 5.65 and not much further away.

For those in the west of the County it shows The Lizard Point at 6.30 and Lands End slightly less dark at 6.14. I can recommend this internet site to anyone who needs to know how good (or bad) their home sites is and you can click anywhere on the map to see what other places are like as well.

http://www.need-less.org.uk/

Be interested to hear your report on what it is like sky wise. I take your point that the evenings will still be late but at least they would have come forward quite a bit and a first hand report would be invaluable. As I recall Crackington is about 8 miles south of Bude just off the Atlantic Highway and there should be plenty of cliff top to set up on for 360 degree views.

Agreed , there looks like a track up to the cliffs next to the Pub ;) , failing that and depending on the tides maybe from the beach itself . There will be a bit of skyglow from Bude to the North though.

Last time we stayed we were sitting with a bottle watching multiple ISS passes almost directly overhead :cool:

My family has a place about 10 miles north of Bude and a mile inland. The skies are beautifully clear - I'm blessed with some nice dark skies where I live, but the skies there are astonishing (when it's not raining, too misty, overcast....)

Agreed , there looks like a track up to the cliffs next to the Pub ;) , failing that and depending on the tides maybe from the beach itself . There will be a bit of skyglow from Bude to the North though.

Last time we stayed we were sitting with a bottle watching multiple ISS passes almost directly overhead :cool:

You just make sure you don't attempt the track up to the cliffs after stopping off at the pub. Skyglow from Bude shouldn't be too back if the Need Less dark sky indicator is good. that show little in the way of skyglow at all.

My family has a place about 10 miles north of Bude and a mile inland. The skies are beautifully clear - I'm blessed with some nice dark skies where I live, but the skies there are astonishing (when it's not raining, too misty, overcast....)

Do you want to contact your family now and tell them they might be descended on by quite a few astronmers come the darker nights :grin: :grin: :grin:

Yep Needless is great but you also have to tie in accessibility of viewing locations. Crackington Haven is good but unless your using bins or you want to hike your gear 200m to a cliff top its not so good. Some interesting spots further inland towards Davidstow airstrip though.

Kai if you are staying at Bude then I think you would be better off going North, Morwenstow looks promising. :)

Do you want to contact your family now and tell them they might be descended on by quite a few astronmers come the darker nights :grin: :grin: :grin:

:grin:

I can't wait to go back actually - I get down around every 6 weeks for a long weekend. I'm now thinking about leaving a 6-8" Dob down there so I don't have to cart mine down! You must get some pretty decent skies in Redruth too I would have thought? Lovely part of the world.

Yep Needless is great but you also have to tie in accessibility of viewing locations. Crackington Haven is good but unless your using bins or you want to hike your gear 200m to a cliff top its not so good. Some interesting spots further inland towards Davidstow airstrip though.

Kai if you are staying at Bude then I think you would be better off going North, Morwenstow looks promising. :)

I know Morwenstow very well, and the skies are superb. It also has the added benefit of the Bush Inn being nearby. :cool:

My skies are not shabby (just under 6) in Winkleigh , even more so now that the lights go out at midnight , Andromeda is naked eye (before the lights ;)) . If i drive out of the village its even darker

Last time we were in Bude we did notice that if there was moisture in the air then you could see the glow from Bideford and Barnstaple but as i have said its a pretty mute point as we are there the first weeks of the kids holidays

I know Morwenstow very well, and the skies are superb. It also has the added benefit of the Bush Inn being nearby. :cool:

The Bush inn is a lovely pub, funnily enough the observing spot that I like on Google Earth is very close....hmmmm :evil:

My skies are not shabby (just under 6) in Winkleigh , even more so now that the lights go out at midnight , Andromeda is naked eye (before the lights ;)) . If i drive out of the village its even darker

Had to find Winkleigh on G Maps, must be really hard living there surrounded by all that countryside and dark skies oh well someone has to do it though eh! ;):cool:

• 1 year later...

I am staying at Boscastle (not far away from Crackington Haven), tomorrow and I know the skies are very good for stargazing there - 5.6 according to the website. I guess I will have to climb the cliff to get a good view of the sky though...

I am staying at Boscastle (not far away from Crackington Haven), tomorrow and I know the skies are very good for stargazing there - 5.6 according to the website. I guess I will have to climb the cliff to get a good view of the sky though...

Hi Mark

If its clear tonight (which it maybe) I think your in for a bit of a surprise!!!!

My SQM readings from my observing site between Boscastle and Crackington gives readings of 21.89 which works out as a NELM of nearly 6.6, light pollution maps aren't too accurate to say the least! :)

If it is clear tonight and you are not sure where to go drop me a message on here and I'II give you directions to where I sometimes go. :)

Hi Mark

If its clear tonight (which it maybe) I think your in for a bit of a surprise!!!!

My SQM readings from my observing site between Boscastle and Crackington gives readings of 21.89 which works out as a NELM of nearly 6.6, light pollution maps aren't too accurate to say the least! :)

If it is clear tonight and you are not sure where to go drop me a message on here and I'II give you directions to where I sometimes go. :)

Hello

Well, I have never seen so many stars (in the UK) before with the naked eye, the only problem was the light pollution in the village(Town) even along the harbour. I did find a trail called 'panorama' along the cliff which I followed a short way. I am sure to be back there again later this year. Perhaps you could give me directions on where to go for good 'PL free' viewing?

If you have a look on the cliff road between Boscatle and Crackington theres a small lay-by which faces NE, its on a single track road so you don't have to worry about loads of cars going past. I like it there because there is hardly any skyglow to the south (but there is to the N and S), I don't go there very often as its a fair old drive but its darker than anywhere else I've found in the SW.

If you can't spot it on Google Maps then let me know.

Mike

Archived