NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

An eclectic mix of objects

David Smith

Managed to get out for a few hours last night, it was getting light when I went to bed this morning at 03:30! First chance to use the Revelation 10 scope since I completed the flocking process earlier in the week and first chance to use my new Explore Scientific 82 degree 11mm eyepiece.

Started just before midnight (BST) and whilst unpacking the scope from it's house (shed) I noticed a bright object crossing the sky in a west to east trajectory through Lyra. Studied it as it traversed the sky and could not detect any sort of pulsation or evidence that it was a plane of any sort. Quick check of Stellarium showed it was in fact the ISS! Never knowingly seen the ISS before.

First telescopic target was Saturn but it was quite low and the image was a bit mushy.

Next on the list was Comet C/2011/F1 Linear, currently near the handle of the plough but at mag 12. Used Skycharts as my guide (with the UCAC 3 catalogue installed it shows stars down to mag 15!) and found my way to the expected location of the comet. Based on what Skycharts was telling me I was seeing stars down to mag 14.2 but I could not detect the comet. I noticed that NGC 5520 was nearby and at mag 12 similar to the comet. Moved over to see if I could track it down and was successful, although it is just a faint glow. Hopped back and forth from comet location to galaxy to see if I could pick up the comet but never managed it.

Next I shifted across the sky to Sagitta to hunt down M27 but first I stopped of at M71 and Harvard 20. M71 is a nice compact, irregular shaped cluster with many stars that are resolved and a hint that there is more to come. Harvard 20 on the other hand is barely distinguishable from the background stars! Then I moved on to M27. In the Recvelation 32mm widefield this object is quite breath taking, a ghostly puff of smoke in the sky, unusual in that it does not appear to have any embedded stars. Then I switched to the ES eyepiece - wow. Contrast takes a huge leap and of course image scale increases, but the best image by far was with the ES combined with my OIII filter - oh my word :eek::confused2: Contrast takes another leap and the OIII reveals an enormous amount of additional nebulosity plus a bunch of structure in the stuff I could see without it. Can't remember the last time I was this blown away by a view through any scope. I spent an age just studying the intricate filaments within the hour glass shape.

Difficult to top that but had a go at NGC 6802 after finding CR399 (Brochi's cluster or the Coathanger) but could not find this, mind you it was starting to get light by this time.

As I was packing up the scope I notice that bright object crossing the sky again, this time to the south. Checked Stellarium again and it was the ISS for a second time, finsihed the night the way I started it.

As the the Explore Scientific eyepiece, fantastic - I want more! When compared with my Revelation 12mm it is streets ahead with better contrast and I never did find the edge of the field of view!! And the flocking, my scope certainly hasn't suffered for it but whether I could see a noticable improvement - not sure.

Archived