Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sun and my GOTO

johnb

Hi

I have an EQ6 Mount and though about putting my PST on it and then using solar tracking?, I can find the Sun in the object catalog, i assume its by design or im missing something ?

John B

Can or Can't find the Sun? I assume can't as it is not a good idea to "goto" the Sun unless your scope has the necessary filters etc attached. It would be far too easy to cause serious damage to your equipment, not to mention certain blindness!!

If you point the scope at the sun, presumably normal RA tracking would do? Over a few hours the sun can't differ that much in apparent motion when compared to the stars, can it?

James

When I first imaged the sun a couple of weeks back (using Baader film of course) I just set the Goto for Mercury then slackened the clutches & pointed it at the sun. I used the shadow behind the scope so I got it as small as possible looked in the eyepiece & there it was. A couple of presses on the buttons to centre it & it stayed in the FOV for hours.

When I first imaged the sun a couple of weeks back (using Baader film of course) I just set the Goto for Mercury then slackened the clutches & pointed it at the sun. I used the shadow behind the scope so I got it as small as possible looked in the eyepiece & there it was. A couple of presses on the buttons to centre it & it stayed in the FOV for hours.

Great tip and pretty much what I do. With the mount tracking in sidereal the sun barely 'moves'

Archived