Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

dob levelling base

sunshine185

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talking of inclinometers, If you have an android Inclinometer Pro is a good alternative to a wixey and at less than £2 a bit of a saving too.

tried the free version but it didn't seem to get along with my moto atrix, found anothe though,called clinometer and bubble level. seems quite accurate, and its free too .

Sunshine , will do , will pm you and keep in touch for when decent weather and dark skies come , is it a stand alone viewer or does it attach to telescope ..... Will I want to buy one

The inclinomter/angle finder applications for iPhones and Antroids will get you close but nowhere as accurate as a dedicated instrument, IMO.

thats what I'm afraid of, gonna give it a test and will see how i get on with this and setting circles and skEye app.

tried the free version but it didn't seem to get along with my moto atrix, found anothe though,called clinometer and bubble level. seems quite accurate, and its free too .

Not sure thats the same app, got a link? I tried a free version and it was from a different developer.

failsworth? i am just up manchester rdin hollins. i have a dob and no transport, so my back garden is my only obsy site, although its not too bad, could be a damn site worse round here.

p.s, just seen u have the same scope as me! how u find the 30mm rev i have the 42 mm, its ok but it shows the lp too much, want something a little higher powered to make the sky a little darker. as for the leg things, got them from pellows hardware store, on the corner of hollins rd/ashton rd, he supplied the mdf and cut it to size. he had some huge bolts, about three quater inch thick, with two nuts on, the bolts had a big round bit at the top and would make ideal levelling pegs, but they were just short of 4 quid each and i am a miser.

Hollins? Hollins in Middleton? I'm at Top of Hebers, just at the top of Hollins!

The inclinomter/angle finder applications for iPhones and Antroids will get you close but nowhere as accurate as a dedicated instrument, IMO.

True, however I tested SkEye at SGL7 with 'mdstuart' expertly star hopping, it's pretty accurate actually.

That's without any levelling.

I've now upgraded my phone to Galaxy Nexus, supposedly even more accurate due to gyroscope with ICS - no chance to try it out yet though!

It's not a cheap solution by any stretch, considering the cost of a smartphone...

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

dharma , this could be the start of the north manchester astronomy club , I'll have to think of a good acronym

How about if you call it the Manchester Astronomy North Club ;)

Archived