NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Nexstar mount - can it be bought seperately?

Stormwatch

I read somewhere or other than the Nexstar mount is sold by a German company. I must admit I'm very intimidated by the CG-5 GT mount I bought, and I'm really worried the noise it makes will annoy the neighbours. The hassle of aligning it all is just going to make me less likely to use the thing.

I'm thinking of maybe getting a Nexstar mount to take the C8 OTA, and sell the CG5-GT. Would that be possible?

I KNOW the CG-5 GT is a good mount, but it's a hell of a lot of hassle and noise compared to the very easy to use Nexstar mounts.

I would of thought that a C8 would be at the very limits of a Nexstar mount.

Think you've got the wrong end of the stick there Kai!

There are often people who go the other way. You can defork a nexstar to put on an Eq mount. I think a wanted post on Astro B+S might come up with something eventually. That would be ideal since you could swap mounting bits.

Don't think it's available seperately though

Ahhhh sorry i was thinking of a Slt mount :nono: :oops: :oops:

Just ignore me and i might go away :D

Well, I was also thinking of the SLT mount, thats why I posted this. My 102 SLT is so easy to use, that I find this CG5-GT thing a real pain. It's heavy, takes up lots of space in my little cupboard and needs a lot to align it compared to that SLT mount.

Oh, and the noise thing. That's really the killer.

I've read some good things about that single fork mount. Good for visual and more rigid than it looks but it's not going to be in the same class as the nextar GPS/CPC forks. I bet you could buy these very cheaply if you can find someone moving the other way.

I've read some good things about that single fork mount. Good for visual and more rigid than it looks but it's not going to be in the same class as the nextar GPS/CPC forks. I bet you could buy these very cheaply if you can find someone moving the other way.

Are you saying people might want to swap my Cg5-GT for their Nexstar mount?

Are you saying people might want to swap my Cg5-GT for their Nexstar mount?

I might be interested in just such a deal and I'm in Scotland. I have the 6SE, but it's the same mount as on the 8SE. PM me if you'd like to discuss some kind of deal?

Martin

Perhaps you could team up with someone wanting an OTA?

What do you mean Steve? I like the C8 OTA, I just think I might prefer the Nexstar mount to the CG5-GT.

I mean if you were to find someone looking to buy a C8 OTA, you could jointly order the Celestron 8 SE and seperate the two parts, you have the mount, someone else the OTA. Sounds like you might already be sorted though.

It's an equatorial mount for one thing, and that's what attracts me. Photography would be a pain with the Nexstar mount (involve only short exposures or the hassle of getting a wedge). Probably shooting myself in the foot :insects1:

Stormwatch, don't you find the 102 SLT goto quite noisy? I think my 130SLT is pretty noisy when slewing, although admittedly I have no previous experience of goto's to compare it to.

Not really no. I LOVE my 102 SLT, the one and only problem is it's small aperture. Otherwise it would be my perfect telescope.

Archived