Help Is This Worth Buying

Hi and welcome to the forum !

It depends on your budget but ideally you would want a scope with a larger aperture (main mirror / lens diameter). I reckon 130mm or better still 150mm is a better starting point in the hobby. If the scope linked to was around £50 or so then it might be worth a punt to get used to using one I guess.

At £40 assuming it does actually function properly then I think it's worth it. Even if it were in perfect condition I don't think I'd pay very much more for it than that.

James

It isn't the price, it is the performance. Optics are tricky to buy - especially used. For the amateur who isn't sure how to evaluate optics properly, it is easy to get ripped off and lose your cash. To be fair, the seller often doesn't have a clue about evaluating the optics, either. I've told some folks who wanted to sell stuff that their items weren't worth selling - only to have them get very angry with me, thinking I was trying to cheat them out of something good by calling it junk and offering a low price, etc.

Bottom line, unless you can see the optics personally, and you know what you are about in terms of evaluating them - I would not touch it at any price. Not that there aren't bargains to be had, but the risk is very great that you will get something that doesn't work properly and has been misused (usually out of ignorance, not malice).

Caveat Emptor, friend!

Dan

I'd be concerned that its the third time its been listed do to timewasters. is this because it isn't up to scratch. then again, maybe thats why I don't grt many bargains. Too cautious? If you get it i hope its a cracker.

I wouldn't agree on any price until you've had a good look at it. You're not going to be looking at much through that scope until the scope's finder bracket is replaced. You might want to think about getting an alternative finder such as a Telrad or Rigel Quikfinder that you can at least use for your next upgrade. Personally I would save your money and go for more aperture, you'll see more offering you better value for every pound spent.

James

Hello and welcome to the Lounge. It depends what it goes for really, but as long as the optics are OK there is nor reason why it should not be a good buy. The seller mentions the dings on the tube so they are trying to be honest as to condition, however as it is collection only, you can always give it the once over before parting with any cash.

Archived