Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Black EQ6

Uhwaz

Not sure if this is useful, but the Orion Atlas mounts sold in the US are black instead of the SW white that we get here. Always fancied the look of the black one more than the white, but I guess white is more practical in the dark :hello2:

The Black EQ6 was released as a standard version with RA & DEC motors. An upgrade kit (£295) is required to make it in to a synscan GOTO mount. Other than this the mount itself is the same with the exception of the latest mount having a duel-saddle puck and it's white. As Dunkster points out the Orion version is still the original black colour and is less likely to turn yellow like the white mounts do.

I have the black version and it's lovely BUT I have upgraded it to SynScan GoTo (actually 'SkyScan' GoTo which was changed for legal reasons) - it would not be worth buying at this price IMHO. Mechanically (but not electrically) identical to the whiter versions despite the hype!

yeh thx guys for the info i have just checked works out about 100euro cheaper with goto upgrade kit compared to brand new NEQ6 but no fiddling with motors etc

ll just keep on looking for good second hand i think

regards Marian

Telescope-express sells new NEQ6 for 800pounds / 999euro

Long story short - Should be moving to new house ( hopefully my own ) this year so if its in nice dark spot i ll invest in obsy and new mount :hello2:

Telescope-express sells new NEQ6 for 800pounds / 999euro

Long story short - Should be moving to new house ( hopefully my own ) this year so if its in nice dark spot i ll invest in obsy and new mount :hello2:

That is for the syntrek version :)

I bought one of the black EQ6's for £400. I eventually ended up doing the upgrade and the improvement was noticable. The new steppers seem far better and the usefullness of GOTO was worth the price of the upgrade alone. I don't think you'll get a second hand white NEQ6 for £695- they seem to go for silly money these days. I needed another EQ6 so I waited & wated for months but the few s/h ones that came up for salel got snapped up for nearly new price. So I just brought a new one from from FLO anyway/

As I said above NEW NEQ6 syntrek version is 800pounds thats 100 more then this old EQ6 and upgrade motors but no fiddling with it and warranty etc. well worth 100 extra

Thx for the info tho :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Why? these still have very accurate tracking moters and auto guider imput .

Will work very well as an AP rig I would think ?

Brian.

maybe it would but lets say my current mount EQ5 ... unguided 30s-60s subs tops , guided i can go to 10mins easy enough

see the difference ? :)

Archived