Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

383L+ first light M51

daneel

Here's my first attempt at M51 with the new gear. I used a 2x Barlow which, in retrospect, was probably a mistake. With 1.25" filters the setup showed vignetting about half way across the field of view (80mm scope is f7.5, FL 600mm). Steve warned me and as usual I should have listened. Perhaps the 2" filter$ would have been better.

25 L 5min subs

12x R, G, B 5min subs

Stacked the R, G, B subs together, then the L subs together in Maxim DL then LRGB-combined in PixInsight. Then colour corrected (tricky to get the right RGB weightings), removed vignetting with DynamicBackgroundExtraction and did a final set of stretches with the curve tool, along with a bit more colour correction.

post-13879-133877783091_thumb.jpg

You can get away with 1.25 filters on the 383 but will need a good set of flats to remove the vignetting. As you say a barlow is probably not a good idea. It's a good image for the subs time though :hello2:

Great first attempt :hello2: More light subs and no Barlow and you should be well away. I think this is probably my favourite galaxy (or pair of galaxies).

Archived