NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vixen NPL EPs vs TMB Planetary EPs

Naemeth

Hmm, decisions galore really.

I've been looking at the Vixen NPL EPs for a while, and they look like a great start, however many on this forum have said the BST Explorer's may be better. However, at 58 Degree AFOV, the TMB Planetary EP's not only offer a nice high power range, they are just 2 degrees smaller in the AFOV than the BST's, and come with a lower price tag, much more similar to the NPL's.. Some comparisons, so maybe someone can help me :(.

Vixen NPL - 4 / 6 / 8 / 10 / 15 - £30.00

- 20 / 25 - £35.00

- 30 / 40 - £40.00

(AFOV - 4-30 = 52 Degrees, 40 = 40 Degrees)

TMB Planetary I - 2.5 / 3.2 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 15 / 20 / 25 - £36.00

(AFOV - All 58 Degrees)

TMB Planetary II - 2.5 / 3.2 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 9 - £39.00

(AFOV - All 58 Degrees)

And the BST's

BST Explorer's - 5 / 8 / 12 / 15 / 18 / 25 - £47.00

(AFOV - All 60 Degrees)

My current EPs are the standard 10mm and 25mm, or am I just better off getting a TAL Barlow?

From your shortlist the Vixen NPL will probably give the sharpest views. On the other hand though the eye relief will be tight at the shorter focal lengths. The BST Explorer are well regarded on the forum so may be a better choice with the 60° fov and comfortable eye relief. I have used the TMB in the past and found them pretty decent ep's for the money. If it were me, I would go for either the BST/TMB below 8mm and the NPL from 8mm up

Hi there tough choice are you in a club? Can you not Give him a ring he lets you choose two eps you try them ,if you like them send them back and he then will send you the one you choose pluss a bag of sweets for free

Pat

I've had them all...

Ok. Few things to note here. The TMB's in the 5mm, 6mm & 9mm are very good performers. I've not owned the other sizes in the TMB range.

The BST 12mm & 18mm are fantastic ep's and rival the hyperion on the cost performance ratio. Some would challenge that, but its true. The 25mm is the runt of litter, and the 8mm is just too darn soft!. These are ok in a f5 scope

The NPL's ... Well the 15mm & 25mm are really nice ep's, good contrast and really do ok in faster scopes. the 30mm is poor!

Hope this helps

Rob

Would this then be a good compromise:

TMB - (Possibly 2.5 / 3.2 / 4) / 5 / 6 / 9

BST - 12 / 18

NPL - 8 / 15 /25

Overall, that gives me (2.5 / 3.2 / 4) / 5 / 6 / 8 / 9 / 10 (Cheap EP) / 12 / 15 / 18 / 25

If I got a Barlow, Barlowing would give me 3 / 4.5 / 7.5 / 12.5 that I don't already have..

Would a 7mm be a good purchase? Because it's very similar to a barlowed 15..

Do you also have any experience of the TMB II's?

I've not owned any TMB II's, but they have mixed/poor press so stayed away from them.

I think it really depends on the focal length of your scope to be honest.

I would suggest less EP's and to grab a barlow for sure!... Whats the focal length of your 130P?.

I have the BST 5, 8, 12 and 15mm EPs

Also the TMB/Burgess Planetary 4mm and Xcel LX 25mm.

All give me much better views than my previous Plossls and SW SWA's.

I tend to use my 8mm most in my 102mm f/6 'frac (giving me x77) and the 15mm in my 6SE (giving me x100).

The TMB 4mm tends only to be used on the rare occasions there is good seeing.

I've not owned any TMB II's, but they have mixed/poor press so stayed away from them.

I think it really depends on the focal length of your scope to be honest.

I would suggest less EP's and to grab a barlow for sure!... Whats the focal length of your 130P?.

650mm. The idea is eventually to move up to a 200P, then probably a 300P, but this is in a while.

On the verge of deciding between the 4mm and 6mm TMB Planetary I, just trying to think which would be better...

6mm is 108.3x and 4mm is 162.5x, both under the 200x - 250x theoretical limit. I know 5mm is 130x, but I'm eventually getting a Barlow so won't really need a 5mm EP..

I think the smaller length focal EPs will be more useful than many give credit on here (from good reasoning to be honest), because in a scope with a focal length of only 650mm, the magnification rarely gets above 200 even with short focal lengths... ie:

2.5mm gives 260x

3.2mm gives 203.125x

4mm gives 162.5x

5mm gives 130x

6mm gives 108.3x

7mm gives 92.8x

It's not like they are really pushing the boundaries, although the 2.5 will hardly get used, the 3.2 should get used on quite a few good nights. Of course, when you get a bigger scope with a bigger focal length (such as a Skyliner 200P), sub 5mm becomes useless.

I'm hoping Saturn at 162.5x will be a real treat, and can't wait. I'd even love to see the Moon in that detail!

So, it's arrived. I must say, it's huge! It's about double the size of my 25mm (just a little bit less), and triple the size of my 10mm! It has a nice weight to it, I'll post a First Light review when I can, but as is always with these things, it might be a while as it's clouds galore currently...

I'd love to see a side by side comparison to the 22mm Ethos and my baby Skywatcher 10mm one that came with the scope :D.

Not quite the same, but close... (the small one is a 9mm Celestron that came with my Mak)

Archived