Solar filter

Hi all

I am just wondering if a solar filter for the AstroMaster 70EQ would fit my 70mm Celestron Travelscope.

I am finding it hard to find a ready-made filter for the Travelscope70 and i really dont want to go down the road of a DIY project and for some reason paypal will not let me use my credit card to buy from FLO either way on a ready made filter or badder solar film.

I can pick up a ready-made filter here in Dublin for the AstroMaster 70EQ for about 30 euro.

That would suit me brilliantly as my 70mm Travelscope really is the one i would like to use for solar observing. I'm not after something before the Venus transit. Just a solar filter that i can use during the summer to see sunspots in white light.

Thoughts,opinions.........................

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

I just ordered the filter for the Astromaster 70EQ.

I'm pretty confident that it will fit the Travelscope70.

If it is a bit out, either way (all depends on the OD), i am sure i can rustle up a fix to make it fit snugly and safe.

Just googled the filter. I hope this is what i am getting:

post-18019-133877782378_thumb.jpg

The ready made filters have been discontinued. The guy from the shop called me yesterday. Its the solar filter sheet they are sending out to me instead. I'm just going to tape a piece of it to the inside of the 70mm dustcap where the smaller central aperture hole is and use it that way. I cant be messing about with cardboard etc.

I'm excited about getting my solar filter this time. I have tried and failed to make a full aperture filter twice in the past for a 90mm EQ frac. It was ok................pug ugly and quickly fell to pieces.

This time i am just going for a square cut off of the solar sheet taped to the inside of the small central aperture hole of my 70mm travelscope. The scope is so "grab n go" that it is crazy and the filter can live inside the lens cap. The hole on the cap is only about 35mm but that is perfect. You dont need much aperture to observe the sun.

I'm not sure what magnification to use with it to see sunspots in white light but i will use my Baddar zoom lens. Also i will have the scope mounted on an 8115 tripod which is more stable then the supplied tripod and allows me to ramp up the magnification on this widefield scope.

My Canon 450D even goes nicely onto the scope for imaging because of the extra sturdiness of the 8115.

So i feel a few while light images coming on.

Be very careful with a small piece of solar filter taped over the centre hole of the lens cap - tape has a habit of giving up its stickineess in the heat and there is a possibility of the filter falling away and gavity taking over, be very careful with your eyesight Paul. You need a secondary fixing if possible like a rough ring of card rammed into the lens cap to give you a second chance should the tape give up in the heat.

I have used the solar filter sheet before. I trust it with my life. The tip about putting white card on the outside of the dust cap to reduce heat is a good one and also placing card inside the dust cap to prevent any slip is also a top tip. I have read both of these top tips over the last couple of days for people like me who simply want to stick a piece of solar film inside the smaller aperture hole on the scope dust cap.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the company i ordered my Baader solar film from have forgotten about me. I placed my order a week before the Venus transit (not wanting the filter for the transit). They rang me within 24 hrs to say it may not arrive for the transit and i said that was fine as i didnt want it for the transit. They said they would post it out to me on the Friday (31st May?). Here we are on the 16th June and no sign of the filter yet. No money has been taken from my bank yet also, which is why i think they have forgotten about me.

I wouldnt mind but the company is only on the other side of Dublin to where i live, not to mention that they charge 5 euro for delivery.

If the filter does not arrive on monday i will ring them and maybe i will have to put the order through again.

To be honest it is no big deal because i dont think i have seen the Sun since i placed my order.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Paul

Did you ever get your solar film?

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of the same setup for solar viewing ( travelscope and baader film) so it would be great to get your views on the set up.

Ikorodu

Archived